Russian Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By remnant3333 Updated 6 Dec 2018 , 2:03am by littlejewel

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 14 Oct 2017 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 28

http://letthebakingbeginblog.com/2017/07/russian-buttercream/

Has anyone made this buttercream with butter and sweetened condensed milk before? 

27 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 28

never heard of it -- looks pretty good -- easy is my favorite -- i might try it someday but i am super allergic to sugar i break out in beaucoups d'fat -- but we gotta family birthday coming up and this is a ton easier than smbc -- i'll try it for that -- 

thank you, remnant, cake decorator supreme 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 28

and i'll report back blush

remnant3333 Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 28

I thought maybe someone here had tried this but evidently not. Next time I make a cake I am going to try this also. I love anything with sweetened condensed milk in it. 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 28

yeah me too what's not to like

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 16 Oct 2017 , 12:38am
post #6 of 28

I am Russian and yes this is very popular buttercream with Russian cakes. We use it with sponge type cakes, that are light and airy. Reminds me of Soviet bakery cakes  and rolls decorated with pink buttercream  roses, green leaves and crumbs on sides.

remnant3333 Posted 16 Oct 2017 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 28

I am definitely going to try this buttercream on my next cake!! I don't make another cake for anyone till christmas.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Oct 2017 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 28

It sounds like it would be a smooth & delicious icing.  

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2017 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 28

hi, mb, nice to 'see' you

MBalaska Posted 17 Oct 2017 , 12:49am
post #10 of 28

Hello @-K8memphis,  I'm no longer "MBalaska"  as I've moved to Florida.  "MBflorida" just doesn't sound right yet.  I've not even acclimated.  It's hot, sunny, humid & full of bugs here but at least I don't have to shovel snow any more.  I'll just stick to MBalaska for a while. LOL

-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2017 , 2:09pm
post #11 of 28

oh how cool -- er i mean hot hot & humid ha! what a huge adjustment -- i mean who's gonna buy the coats and sweaters at your garage sale -- you probably already had one before you left -- wowzers --

yeah bugs suck man -- southern homes are not always sealed well -- seal all the holes -- diatomaceous earth is your friend and spray your entire property, including the perimeter of the house and around the windows -- spray where the water shut off is -- regularly --

hahahaha

great to hear from you 

MBalaska Posted 17 Oct 2017 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 28

Thank You K8!!  Maybe by the New Year I'll be able to set up and start baking again. I'd like to try this Russian frosting recipe.

MilkNHoney84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MilkNHoney84 Posted 23 Oct 2017 , 4:14am
post #13 of 28

You can make it with dulce de leche as well. Ann Reardon has a similar recipe for caramel buttercream using butter and dulce de leche.

MilkNHoney84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MilkNHoney84 Posted 23 Oct 2017 , 4:14am
post #14 of 28

You can make it with dulce de leche as well. Ann Reardon has a similar recipe for caramel buttercream using butter and dulce de leche.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Oct 2017 , 4:03pm
post #15 of 28

thank you -- milknhoney -- so many choices  :)

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 11:35pm
post #16 of 28

I've tried the recipe  yesterday. I'm pretty impress with how it turned out. It was silky smooth (as I was expecting it to be) and also firm/stiff enough. I realy thought it would have been on the soft side (like cooked floor frosting), but it was close to smbc in texture. Yay! I did have to beat it a few minutes (maybe 4-5 minutes?) after adding the sweet condensed milk for the buttercream to emulsify beautifuly and take the smbc texture. I do love a lots of vanilla, so I add 1tbsp of it. Yummy... Bring some cupcakes to work today, and prety much everyone loved the buttercream and ask for the recipe!

For sure, this recipe is a keeper!

Thanks for sharing

CupCake.Goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake.Goddess Posted 2 Nov 2017 , 7:14pm
post #17 of 28

I just want to stick my entire face in that bowl.  O.O

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2017 , 2:03am
post #18 of 28

high praise, cupcake.goddess -- i'm making some soon....

CupCake.Goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake.Goddess Posted 3 Nov 2017 , 6:30pm
post #19 of 28

Meeeee tooooooo -K8memphis!!! My new mixer arrived today!! Whooooooooooooop!!!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2017 , 11:52pm
post #20 of 28

YAY!!!! 

that was fast

remnant3333 Posted 4 Nov 2017 , 4:39am
post #21 of 28

Now that some have tried this recipe and it turned out good,  I can't wait to make this Russian buttercream. I may make a cake Sunday!!!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2017 , 6:01pm
post #22 of 28

it tastes wonderful -- it mixes so easy -- i don't think i made it right -- i'm gonna stick with swiss meringue -- i did not like the look of the texture -- it appeared un-smooth -- not lumpy just rough -- at one point it had that nice shiny smooth tight look but it passed -- 

i think i should have used cold butter because once i whipped it it was too warm kwim -- 

after in & out the fridge & whipping some more --  i added cold grated butter, powdered sugar more vanilla and corn starch -- it's a loving hands at home look -- it's for my daughter's birthday she will love it -- i have a lovely collection of candles on it -- she and her husband are 38 this month so i got a "76" candle hahahahaha

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2017 , 6:50pm
post #23 of 28

but now that it's fully set up in the fridge it is quite firm --

my husband helped me make it --

remnant3333 Posted 6 Nov 2017 , 4:25pm
post #24 of 28

Speaking of swiss meringue frosting here is a link for a swiss meringue that is supposed to be super easy to make. I am going to try this one too when I get the chance because you don't cook this one and use 100 percent carton egg whites. See below.

https://www.sugarhero.com/the-easiest-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

Unforunately, I was busy Sunday and did not get to make a cake. I have two acres of trees that have been dropping leaves on the ground so I was outside raking and burning leaves all day because I heard it was going to rain Sunday night and the rain makes it harder to burn leaves since I have to wait for them to dry all over again. I heard the rain full force last night so I am glad I went ahead and burned the ones I had raked up.  Maybe I can try making a cake next weekend. 

K8, do you cook your swiss meringue buttercream the normal way or have you ever tried the method above?

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2017 , 11:13pm
post #25 of 28

remnant -- i made the uncooked swiss with granulated sugar instead of the powdered -- the granulated sugar dissolved fine but i prefer the cooked -- i used the uncooked for dummy cakes -- and the powdered has a teeny bit of cornstarch that would probably enhance the whole effect too 

fahril99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fahril99 Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 3:25pm
post #26 of 28

Anyone know if Russian buttercream freezes well?

cakenista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenista Posted 5 Dec 2018 , 10:06pm
post #27 of 28

Yes it's so good it resembles  smbc  I love it .I didnt believe that  sweetened condensed milk would end up like butter cream 

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 6 Dec 2018 , 2:03am
post #28 of 28

The wilton thread that used to exist had this recipe but it was called something like frosting that taste like walmart' I never tried it though 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%