Fragile Cake Help!

Decorating By Beccca_bakes Updated 7 Oct 2017 , 2:04pm by cutiger

Beccca_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beccca_bakes Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone! First time posting here. I'm pretty new to decorating and today I have a birthday cake that was supposed to be a beer can. It's been a disaster start to finish (leaning, bulging, humid weather, fondant disintegrating) but I think it looks acceptable at the moment since it's for a friend. My problem is she picks it up at 5 tonight and then drives 2hrs. I'm worried about it collapsing during transit and don't know what to do. I have the top half of the cake supported with straws and I've doweled it  but it still seems to be unsecured. Any advice on what else I could do? Thanks!! 

Fragile Cake Help!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 5

chill it -- not in the freezer -- the fridge --

make a box to completely seal it into -- secure a few frozen things in there, pot pies, frozen veggies whatever you got that's frozen, ice even -- i use ice packs wrapped in a paper towel to collect condensation and slid into a zip lock bag -- wired securely into the corners -- use corrugated cardboard like a moving box -- make it the same size as your bottom board and it won't slide -- 

make the opening in the front on a side panel not the top -- seal the cold cake into the box with tape --

as soon as the cake is cold -- which time is escaping depending on what time zone you're in -- seal the cake inside the box -- it will stay cold for hours --

listen, people are gonna dig the sh*t our of it -- it's amazing -- they will love it so you love it too -- love it like it's the mona lisa-- you got this

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 5

*out

or safeguard the frozen items underneath the cake but it's all gotta be and stay level of course and the cake has to be protected from any condensation from your frozen item -- this is a lot of work to get done if you've never done it before but it will sure help

hope all goes very well -- best to you

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 5

Good luck!! Good old "Murphy's Law". Some days everything works against you. Don't let the person put the cake on the car seat when driving or surely it will collapse being on an uneven surface. Praying for you that everything goes okay!!!! Keep the faith and hang in there!!!

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 7 Oct 2017 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 5

Yener's has a video tutorial on how to secure a cake in a box.  He has some great tips.  Just search on youtube and it should come up.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%