How To Avoid Wrinkles In Fondant? Please Help!

Decorating By Celine88 Updated 31 Oct 2017 , 2:31pm by -K8memphis

Celine88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Celine88 Posted 2 Oct 2017 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all,

Here is a cake I made recently. I was happy with everything except that my fondant cutouts became wrinkled and cracked as I was cutting them out, especially the ocean waves. I used cornstarch while rolling out the fondant, and I made the fondant myself. Is there something I am doing wrong that I can avoid this problem? Or how can I fix it afterwards. I tried smoothing it out with my fingers, water, and butter, and nothing helped. Thank you in advance!!!How To Avoid Wrinkles In Fondant? Please Help!

11 replies
Jocey1358 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocey1358 Posted 2 Oct 2017 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 12

You could try using shortening to knead the fondant before you work with it and not use too much cornstarch when rolling it out. Also, try to work with it quickly so it doesn't dry out before you're able to finish. Hope this helps!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 12:17am
post #3 of 12

I agree - the fondant probably needed a bit more shortening &/or moisture (liquid).   You should not have to work w/fondant really quick - that's one of the beauties of it.  One should have several minutes at least to cut it out and apply to cake.  And as the toehr poster said, maybe you didn't knead it long enough.

Celine88 Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 12:32am
post #4 of 12

@Jocey1358 @kakeladi ‍ thank you so much! I didn't need it with shortening or butter, I only used the cornstarch because it was sticking to my mat. That sounds like it may have been the issue, I will definitely test this out this week, thank you!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 1:12am
post #5 of 12

Another great way to add moisture to your fondant is to add glycerine.  I start with shortening and if it doesn't do the trick, I add glycerine.  Cool way to recover even old, stiff fondant.

Celine88 Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 1:16am
post #6 of 12

@SandraSmiley ‍ that's a great suggestion. I used corn syrup for the fondant, do you think replacing it with the glycerin would be better?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 2:50am
post #7 of 12

I honestly do not know, Celine88.  I just use shortening and glycerin to rejuvenate fondant and gum paste.  I've never tried corn syrup.

Celine88 Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 3:05am
post #8 of 12

@SandraSmiley ‍ ok then I will definitely try using that as well, thank you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 12

I have never heard ofusing butter or corn syrup in fondant or gumpaste.  Do try what sandra suggested.

Celine88 Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much for your reply. I do believe that the recipe I was using for fondant is not ideal. I will be testing out the new recipe using glycerin and vegetable shortening instead, and I think it will help a lot. Thanks for the advice!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 12

i don't use anything on the rolling surface when i roll out fondant -- cornstarch will cause it to crack for sure 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2017 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 12

well, i should say cornstarch can cause it to crack 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%