First Attempt At An Ice Cream Cake

Decorating By daracelim Updated 3 Oct 2017 , 10:15pm by daracelim

daracelim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daracelim Posted 1 Oct 2017 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 5

I am a cake decorator I mostly make crusting buttercream cakes , sculpted cakes and fondant . I can say I do a great job . Today I attempted making an ice cream cake and it was a total fail. It was also my first time using pastry pride the pink one . I whipped it and there were stiff peaks but it wasn't freezing or hardening so maybe it's that . Also the ice cream I used was pistachio thrifty from rite aid , I don't know if this is normal but I feel like the ice cream was watery and melting as soon as I removed from freezer I left stacked cake in freezer overnight but it all fell apart . It wasn't for my customers so it's a safe , any tips ??? Please and thank u First Attempt At An Ice Cream CakeFirst Attempt At An Ice Cream CakeFirst Attempt At An Ice Cream CakeFirst Attempt At An Ice Cream CakeFirst Attempt At An Ice Cream CakeFirst Attempt At An Ice Cream Cake

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Oct 2017 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 5

Your pix look to me to be cake w/ice cream filling that was crumb coated w/b'cream before you iced it w/PP. 

That will cause the PP to melt.   I think that was your problem.

daracelim Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 1:19am
post #3 of 5

I didn't crumb coat with buttercream the pic w the bread without the decor is after I removed the ice cream and then I fixed it w buttercream But I did apply the pp first the first time  . Does it have anything to do with whipping the entire  2lb container at the same time in my mixer??? Am I only supposed to whip a little at a time ? I didn't like the consistency of the pp even though I saw peaks I know there was a mistake but that's why I am asking 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 5

You do NOT have to mix all of the container at once.  If you are using the semi-frozen stuff,  DO NOT defrost it at all.   Just spoon out the amount you think will be enough.  It needs to be whipped just past soft peaks.......it's been many years since I have used it but there is a slapping sound when it reaches the perfect whppped consistency.....and you need to stop the mixer immeadiately when it slaps.  I know that's hard to understand - how does one put a sound into words so it is understood? :(   So it sounds like you did not whip it enough & that's what might have caused it to melt. 

daracelim Posted 3 Oct 2017 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks I have another carton imma try it this time like u said

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%