What Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By cmlara_2009 Updated 29 Sep 2017 , 7:47pm by kakeladi

cmlara_2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmlara_2009 Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 7

Hello!

I was asked to make a baby shower cake for a friend that would serve 20. I was thinking of making an 8" tall tier or a 6" and a 4" stacked cake. The design would be similar to this with possibly some added "watercolor" buttercream effect. What do you think is a reasonable price for my time/work? Curious what others would charge for this. 

Also, if it helps, I live in Houston, Texas, so definitely a city population.

Thanks for the help!

What Would You Charge For This Cake?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 7

i would do the 8" at my base price per serving -- the decor is very nice -- it's a very pretty cake but nothing that would require upcharging including the watercolor if you add that -- but why the cake is perfectly perfect as is -- 

but then this cake would run into my minimum price -- my base price per serving is probably $4 per for buttercream but that's only $80 -- so you have to determine your base price -- at least $100 -- i wouldn't do that for less than $150 -- i'm retired and crabby though -- but still -- if i accepted orders now my minimums would be higher 

because you'll say oh that cake will be $4 per serving so $80 -- so they start freaking out and go oh well we only really need ten and half to eleven servings so that's only $44 -- you can't conduct business this way kwim --

best to you

Brooke14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke14 Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 7

Determine how much you will have in the cake first. Then, factor in your fee for your labor. Don't sell yourself short. I live in an area where there are cake shops and people like me selling out of their homes on every corner. So it's competitive! I would charge at least 70 for just the tier pictured. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 7

@-K8memphis ‍, you totally crack me up!  "retired and crabby".....I think I have the same problem, lol, and I agree with everything you said.  If someone doesn't like my pricing, my crabby kicks in and I really don't give a big hoot whether or not I do their cake.  Ain't being retired grand?!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 7

yeah it is for sure blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 7

To me this would definately be 'basic' pricing - even w/watercoloring.  If  you have followed any of the other pricing threads on here or other sites you will find there are sooooo many different factors that enter into pricing:(  Your location (rural, small town; city; or high cost of living area?); how much you have invested in it (**EVERYTHING - ingredients; board; box; insurance; electric; rent and more); how much you want to earn per hour for your hard work, etc, etc, etc! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 7

Actually it's a very simple cake but those are often harder to do because there is no way to hide boo-boos.Therefor the price should go up just a bit over 'basic'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%