How Far In Advance

Decorating By youngj Updated 24 Sep 2017 , 8:08pm by Bakrwomyn

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 20 Sep 2017 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake for Sunday and wanted to crumb coat or finish smooth icing it tonight or tomorrow then add the decorations on Sunday before pick-up. So what do I do?

1) can I crumb coat it, wrap it then freeze it then take it out on Sunday and finish?

2)Or Do I ice it completely then freeze it? Un freeze Sunday and add decorations?

3) Do I crumb coat it and let it sit in the fridge for 2 days?

4) Suggestions!?!?!?

Thanks!

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Sep 2017 , 2:13am
post #2 of 4

Yes, you can crumb coat it, wrap and freeze, but I would take it out Friday night to thaw so you can decorate it on Saturday.  You can also crumb coat and frost the cake and keep it in the refrigerator until you get ready to finish decorating on Saturday.  I keep saying Saturday because I think it is a mistake to wait until Sunday to finish the decorating in case something doesn't go as planned and needs adjusting.  Give yourself some wiggle room.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Sep 2017 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 4

I agree w/Sandra's advice.  It would be best to crumb, wrap & fz until Fri night; remove to frig.  I don't suggest crumbing and put in frig now.  That would mean  any leftovers would not be fresh for the customer. 

Bakrwomyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakrwomyn Posted 24 Sep 2017 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 4

I usually crumb coat ahead of time (like a week) refrigerate for 30 minutes, then double wrap with plastic wrap if I'm overwhelmed with orders. I then take out the cake the night before, carefully unwrap the cake, blot out the moisture with a paper towel and proceed as usual. The hotels I used to work at always kept a supply of crumb-coated cakes, tripled wrapped and kept in the freezer. Keeping them in the freezer is usually good for 3 months but at a hotel we never had cakes last that long in the freezer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%