Attaching Heavy Gumpaste Decorations To The Side Of A Buttercream Cake ... Again

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 18 Sep 2017 , 11:28pm by -K8memphis

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 17 Sep 2017 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 11

I am attaching 2 ounce swags (kinda heavy) to the top edge of a crusted buttercream cake for a wedding next Saturday.  I'm going to use Wilton white candy melts as my glue.  I've decided that in order to give myself some stress relief, I want to also attach toothpicks to the back sides of the swags so that when I put the swags on the cake the toothpicks will help hold them in place.  The swags are made and fully colored and dried.  What should I use to attach the toothpicks?  I was thinking to just make little balls of gumpaste, slightly wet the back of the swag attach the ball of gumpaste and insert the toothpick.  Will this work, or should I use something like thick royal icing?  If using royal, can I make it with just the meringue powder?  Or does it need the powdered sugar?

FYI, I will be a guest at the wedding reception, and of course will inform the caterer that the swags have toothpicks behind them and to make sure they are not left in the cake when it is served.  :-)

Thank you for any advice,
Christina

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2017 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 11

Adding toothpicks (in my opinion)  is a good idea.......in fact probably one on ea end and one in the middle would be a big help.   Either of the suggested ways is fine......fondant./gp; or meringue royal - yes w/the sugar :)  You can just whip it up by the Tablespoon if you don't use royal much.....meringue,sugar w/just enough  liquid to make a thick mud whisked together well.   

mrsmac888 Posted 17 Sep 2017 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 11

kakeladi,

Yes!  I'm glad I thought of the toothpicks.  This cake is making me loose sleep!  All I can see in my mind is coming back to the reception and all the swags have fallen off!  Ugh!  I think doing the toothpicks will really ease my mind.  Thank you so much for your help in this!

Christina :-)

kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2017 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 11

I was thinking if at all possible push the toothpicks through the swags from the front then hide the hole w/a tiny decoration - a tiny  fondant/gp ball on both sides.  Having it through might give a bit more stibility to the swag? 

mrsmac888 Posted 17 Sep 2017 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 11

kakeladi,

Good idea, but it's not working.  The gumpaste is too hard at this point and the toothpick either crushes in on itself or breaks in half.   I'm trying the glob of gumpaste on the back adhered with a touch of water, I'll know by tomorrow if that will work.  Unless someone comes up with something else....

:-)
Christina

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 12:00am
post #6 of 11

oh no -- 2-3 or more toothpicks per swag go into the cake where the bottom of the swag can rest on them -- i think wet gum paste is not a viable option -- a little buttercream would work -- i mean if they are that unwieldy -- you can put some in at an angle to hold them up on the sides too -- just dab some buttercream over it -- make it part of the decor --

i thought you decided on chocolate -- i know this cake is eating your brain -- it's going to all work out -- you've got plans A through triple z -- you've got this -- it's ok 

blush

signed,

the other queen of overthinking heheheheheh

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 5:23am
post #7 of 11

Since you will have melted candy melts anyway, why not use the melted chocolate to adhere the tooth picks to the swags.  In my opinion, it would be better to position the tooth picks directly underneath the swags, so they rest on them instead of attaching them to the back.  The tooth picks need only stick out a tiny bit, maybe 1/8" to support the swags and probably will not show without being covered with anything.  I've done this before and even I had trouble seeing the tooth picks.

mrsmac888 Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 11

Ladies,

I don't think I explained myself well enough.  What I was saying is to flip the dried gp swags over and use something to attach toothpicks to the back, doing this today.  So that the "glue" would be hard BEFORE the swags go on the cake.  Not do it on the day of set up.  Although, now you both are convincing me that K8's original idea of putting the toothpicks under the swag during set up will be sufficient.  

Do you ever get to the point where you love and hate a cake at the same time!?!??!  LOL

Thank you all again!
Christina :-)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 11

Oh yes, Chrisina, on the love/hate thing!  I do a lot more sugar sculpting than cakes, but there is a phase with each piece where I simply hate it.  In the end, some I like more than others, but they are usually acceptable.

As for your swags, I think you are panicing for nothing.  If the tooth picks make you feel better, and you can put them both on the back to be inserted into the cake and underneath for the swags to rest upon, go for it, but I seriously doubt that once attached with melted chocolate, they are going anywhere unless it is awfully hot.

kakeladi Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 11

Hey K8 - you came up with another good idea.  Why didn't any of us think that one? :)   Yes, I think that probably would be best - better than glued to the backs. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 11

i did? thank you, ms. lynne :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%