Help!! Emergency! Gumpaste Figures Melting In Humidity

Decorating By Coffeelover77 Updated 19 Sep 2017 , 12:59pm by jchuck

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 10

Omg !!! I am putting together my cake and went to get my figures from the basement (I keep them there as it is cooler)

anyway they are sticky and soft! Not completely melted but I need to do something !! What can I do?!! 

Its almost 100% humidity here. Fridge? Put a fan on them ???

aaaaahhhh

9 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 10

Don't put them in the frig, it's even more humid in there.  The fan is probably your best bet.

Coffeelover77 Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you @SandraSmiley ‍ ! A couple things are firming up again but the bicycle still looks bad. I'm still hopeful and have a few hours. It took me a long time to make that bicycle

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 10

Good luck to you!

Coffeelover77 Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks @SandraSmiley ‍ I was able to get them to the point of being able to move them into the cake! Phew. never without drama this cake stuff ...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2017 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 10

good save -- this made my stomach hurt -- glad that worked out

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 9:17am
post #7 of 10

I feel your pain!  Humidity is evil to cake decorators! :)  I'm considering using cold porcelin for decorations, maybe they won't melt!

Coffeelover77 Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 10

thanks guys, it was so stressful. Now I have learned my lesson! My husband and I were trying to be economical and not use A/c... It's september I thought we'll suffer through !!! Now I know, if I have cake stuff going on, the A/C is going on too lol

@cutiger ‍ I have never used cold porcelain! Normally when I make cakes though there are kids there at the party, and the kids eat the decorations so I like for them to be edible!

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 9:28am
post #9 of 10

I  agree with you about kids eating the decorations.  I was thinking more about wedding cake decorations.  That way, the bride could also keep them.  Now if I could just find a buttercream recipe that will withstand humidity and heat for those brides that have weddings outside...in July!  Lol!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 Sep 2017 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 10

I never, ever store gumpaste figures/decorations in my basement!! I found they actually got softer. Oh, it's lovely and cool in the basement, but very humid. I've been bugging my hubby for a dehumidifier. So far no luck! Next time, pop your figures in your oven. Sit them on a baking sheet with parchment paper on the lowest wrack. Leave the oven light on. They will dry anywhere between a couple of hours to 24 hrs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%