White Cake/white Icing

Baking By ChrissieJennett Updated 18 Sep 2017 , 10:25pm by kakeladi

ChrissieJennett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrissieJennett Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to recreate this cake from a bakery in my home town. The image is of one of their cake squares. They have THE MOST delicious moist white cake, and light frosting. I'm almost positive there is no butter in the frosting. Does anyone know of a great white cake recipe I can try to see if it tastes similar? I made one once with egg whites that were whipped prior to, and it made the cake VERY dry. The cake pictures has a very light, fine texture and the crumb is very fine as well.White Cake/white Icing

5 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 6

Over cooking any cake can make it dry and it is best to check it about 5-7 minutes before recipe says to take it out of oven.  Some people cook them at 325 instead of 350 and watch cake like a hawk as to not overcook it.  Also good to have a thermometer in oven to make sure your oven temperature is correct.  I find a cake with sour cream is good for moistness. You can always make simple syrup also which is equal amount of sugar and water boiled. Some people interchange the water for flavors of their cake and sprinkle it over your cakes to keep it moist. Example Orange cake they may add 1/2 orange juice along with water or strawberry cake to add strawberry juice to their simple syrup.  You get the idea. 

Others here probably have a lot of secrets to baking moist cakes of which I am sure they will share with you and me. I have read that some cover the cake when it comes out of oven to seal in the moisture which makes it go back into the cake. There is probably some great recipes above which you can check out and then post and ask if anyone has tried that recipe to help you decide which cake to try. I hear the WASC cake is delicious. As for frostings, I have tried the flour frosting which is pretty good but I like the recipe where you cook the sugar in with the flour and milk recipe.  Here is link to that frosting. http://leelabeanbakes.com/blog/frosting-filling/even-better-cooked-flour-frosting/

There should be some frosting recipes above as well that you can try or ask others about them. Good luck I hope you find the perfect white cake. I always loved white cake boxes because they were always so good but I don't use box as often because of the suppliers down sizing the box. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 6

Ahhhh :)  Here are recipes for cake and icing that might meet your needs:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe           https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing

I find baking at 300 or 325 degrees F for a bit longer gives much better results - a nice, moist cake.  Please read through each entire post - especially the WASC cake recipe as there is much valuble info contained in the remarks. 

remnant3333 Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 1:55am
post #4 of 6

Kakeladi, Thank you for the information which I read in the directions for the wasc cake. I am baking an 11 x 15 size cake for a small baby shower so the information about cooking at 300 for 20 minutes then raising it to 325 should be very helpful to me for getting a moister cake. Do you have any idea how long I should cook it for when I turn it to 325 degrees?  I am cooking a red velvet cake which was requested and using a recipe that has brown sugar and buttermilk in it which supposedly won in some kind of competition. I am doubling it and will only fill it 2/3 full. If I have any leftover I will make a couple of cupcakes.

They wanted cream cheese frosting but because it will be outside, I am not using cream cheese frosting but think I will try the frosting that you have above which looks like it would hold up. I don't know how long it will be sitting outside so that is why I am not making cream cheese frosting.  It is supposed to be 80 degrees Fahrenheit on Saturday and will be outside in a park with a roof over it. I am doing it for my friend's granddaughter who is expecting at end of October. It's a free cake for them as I normally always do birthday cakes for them each year.  

remnant3333 Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 3:35am
post #5 of 6

The cake picture above reminds me of what my mom always called a hot milk cake. Here is recipe

4 eggs

2 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour

2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/4 cups milk

10 tablespoons butter cubed

Beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. combine the flour and baking powder, gradually add to batter beating on low speed until smooth. In small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter is melted. Gradually add to batter, beat just until combined.

Pour into greased 13 x 9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Sometimes this cake is so good that we ate it without frosting. Yes, it is that good!!! It is good with frosting too but don't remember what frosting mom put on it. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Sep 2017 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 6

As to how long to bake at 325 - about the same as the 1st temp setting.  In your cakse it should bake up w/the same amount of times.   I usually know when a cake is ready when I can smell that wonderful aroma in the next room :)    As for cr ch frosting - I think it was K8 who suggested using white vinegar to get a cr ch taste tob'cream.  I don't know the link to the recipe but maybe IM her.  Also, Earlene Moore has a wonderful cr ch b'cream that she has posted on her website.  JUst google her name and a link should come up if you want to try it.   The '2 of everything' icing will hold up well in 80 temps - at least it has for me :)  Doesn't melt - if anything it dries out. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%