Edible Image Help

Baking By ChrissieJennett Updated 16 Sep 2017 , 4:13pm by Alohilani

ChrissieJennett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrissieJennett Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 13

Hello all! I have a birthday cake to make next weekend, and I want to apply the Power Rangers logo to the front of the top tier of the cake. I plan on printing an edible image of it. So here is my question - the top tier of the cake will either be red or blue, will the image show up if I apply it directly to such dark icing?  On the cake the mom showed me as an example, it looks like the image was applied to a piece of yellow fondant and then applied to the cake. I have never applied an edible image to fondant before Edible Image HelpEdible Image Help

12 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 13

You can easily add it to fondant. Just brush a little water on the fondant and stick it on. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 13

I agree you should make a plaque of white fondant to put the image on.

ChrissieJennett Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 9:55am
post #4 of 13

Will water not make the image bleed? I read in one post that piping gel might be better. I'm thinking I need to get 2 or even 3 images printed in case I screw up! 

post #5 of 13

Will water not make the image bleed? I read in one post that piping gel might be better. I'm thinking I need to get 2 or even 3 images printed in case I screw up! 

post #6 of 13

Alohilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohilani Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 10:55am
post #7 of 13

I agree that using fondant is the way to go. You don't have to wet the fondant to much, it's just a light touch. My question to you is. 

How did you get  SCG's to agree to this? What steps did you take? A few years back, we had our attorneys  contact them to give us permission to use three of their characters on a wedding cake. It was going to be a two in one cake. You know formal in the front, but when you looked on the back, it was going to look like, as if you were peeling the formal cake to find the power rangers figures.  SCG's asked for sketches, we sent them and they would tell us to revise it. We would do it and they would request something else.

The back and forth between attorneys, went on for close to ten months. SCG's just wouldn't budge. We end up losing the entire account because of it was a huge one too. The groom was a well known cosplayer and really had, his mind set. It would have been great for business. In my opinion and experience SCG is harder to get permission then Disney, to use their characters.  

Please, I would really appreciate if you could tell, what your approach was with them, so we can do the same in the future. I'm sure several others here, would appreciate it too. You can PM, if you prefer. Thank you so much.

Ps: I'm having trouble signing in so, if it takes me to long to reply to you, that's why. It won't be becaus I'm ignoring you 

ChrissieJennett Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 13

Who are SCGs? I'm assuming whoever allows you to use copyright stuff? I have not contacted them. 

ChrissieJennett Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 13

I ended up just ordering an edible image from Amazon and I'll cut the logo out. Thanks for the help!

ypierce82 Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 13

I use water to attach to fondant, just a very light stroke, enough to make it tacky, and have never had any bleeding issues. Good luck with your cake! 

ypierce82 Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 1:37pm
post #11 of 13

If you haven't contacted the copyright owner for permission to use the image, I would not do it, but that's just me. You may want to search the forums on copyright laws and read a few. 

ChrissieJennett Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 1:52pm
post #12 of 13

Hey! I ended up just ordering an edible image from amazon that had the logo already on it. I will cut it out.

Alohilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohilani Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 13

SCG is short for Saban Capital Group, Inc, Haim Saban is the CEO and founder.  They OWN, the rights and copyright for the power rangers. I'm 99% sure that who you bought the edible image from doesn't have permission to sale the image either. Just because you purchased the image it doesn't make it right. If anything it makes you an accomplice in a theft. Because that's what it is in simple terms, a theft. People can say oh go ahead and do it because everybody does and they won't come after someone's small business. That's not true, they have in the past and I'm sure they continue to do so. People who tell you to do so, are giving you bad advice.

Saban is not afraid to go after people and sue them. eBay has been sued in the past before they changed names. Saban, went after a fan made movie about the power rangers. Vimeo and YouTube had to take it down. They went after them and on the first day it was off Vimeo and the next day in was off youtube. Vimeo posted a statement from their attorneys at the time. Google it if you don't believe me.They, went after and sued a baker five years ago in New England.  They sued and won against someone in South America too. They were making children's party favors and decorations. Due to their sue happy attorneys, it was the main reason we engaged them first before even doing a cake sketch. Not that we would use copyright material, without written consent though.

I'm not trying to be a pita or scare you. I'm just giving you information so you can consider the risk and make an informed decision. Your liability insurance won't defend you in cases of copyright, you're on your own when it comes to defending yourself plus the lawyers fees. As a matter of fact, I don't know any insurance company that will. 

It's one thing to make a power ranger inspired cake for your child, compared to making one for profit. Is it worth losing everything you have over one cake? Is the money you will be making enough, to fight in court? I'm sure, the answer is no. Tell your client, that you can't use the picture, because of the copyrights. Offer to make her a cake with the colors and she can purchase some toys and place it in the cake herself. FYI, the case in New England, SCG noticed the cake deviant art and someone's blog. First, they went after that person but what they wanted was the person who actually had made the cake for profit. The customer who had purchased and hunted down the bakery to make them the cake, didn't think twice about giving up the other person to save their ass. They are worst then Disney and we all know how strict Disney is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%