Just Say No :)

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 14 Sep 2017 , 11:30pm by inthekitchen2

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 6

because i've seen many cake decorator's in their clever, witty, creative and informative videos push in the straws (btw seattle is banning straws? oh my what will they do -- but i digress) so yes see them push the straws in and then clip the dang things -- no wonder so many cake buddies think it's ok --

IT'S NOT OK -- put in one straw -- mark it to the top of the cake -- pull it out -- cut all the straws that SAME LENGTH -- then insert them all --

or plan on a cake failure eventually

just sayin'

green_heart

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 6

AMEN to that, @-K8memphis ‍!  I shudder every time I see that done, particularly when Josha John Russell, Man About Cakes does it!  By cutting the straws or dowels individually, you defeat one of the two reasons for using them in the first place, being sure the next tier is level. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 6

AMEN to that, @-K8memphis ‍!  By cutting your straws or dowels individually, one of the two purposes for using them in the first place is defeated, insuring the next tier is level!

Doitright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doitright Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 6

THANK YOU K8memphis!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 6

That is just "cake 101'!  When I was teaching I usually would spend at least 1/2 of one class teaching the proper way to use/insert dowels (or in the beginning spiked pillars)

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for confirming this. I always thought it was wrong, but they are more popular than me. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%