Cardboard Circle Under 12" Cake

Decorating By Doitright Updated 12 Oct 2017 , 8:28pm by jchuck

Doitright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doitright Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, all of you great people. I have another question. Under a 12" cake that is going to be about 5" high, is it better to use two cardboard cake circles for strength under it so it doesn't buckle when putting it on top of a 14" cake or is one strong enough? I haven't made this yet, but will be attempting it soon.  I hope this is not too dumb a question. 

12 replies
RobinYummCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinYummCakes Posted 10 Oct 2017 , 11:08am
post #2 of 13

Hello...did you experiment with stacking the large tiers yet? I would at the very least use foam core board to make a sturdy cake circle, if not a plastic stacking system. I usually use foam core for my cake circles wrapped in press and seal,, which may be overkill but I'd rather have peace of mind! 

Hope that helps

Doitright Posted 10 Oct 2017 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 13

I haven’t tried it yet. I will probably try it with two cardboard circles glued together since I can’t readily get foam core circles near me and like to use things I can get easily. Not sure, though, if the circles each have a coated side to make it greaseproof and if I glue them so the coated sides are both out, is that enough protection from the boards getting affected by the SWBC.  And, I guess I don’t truly understand that if you put a 10” cake on a 10” circle, how there is enough room for the SMBC icing without it coming past the edge of the circle. Wouldn’t it be too thin a coating of icing?  Especially with chocolate cake?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2017 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 13

yes two is good -- put your cardboard circles so the corrugation is cross wise -- you can use them for bigger tiers by inserting bamboo skewers in the grooves too -- in both directions -- yes i hot glue them together too :)

a 10" cake is usually nine and half to nine and three quarters inches after it is baked -- so i'm forever trimming and cutting cake boards -- so you're stacking a tier cake? just depends on what you're doing as to the size of your board -- sometimes the board needs to be a half inch bigger to accommodate the icing -- go with your gut on this -- you're on the right track

Doitright Posted 10 Oct 2017 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 13

I’ll be stacking the cakes. I appreciate the help so much. Sometimes I fall asleep at night trying to think these things out and find I’m waking up to them in the morning. Lol

So many of you could probably do all these things ‘in your sleep’ without even thinking about it. Can’t wait to get even close to that point!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Oct 2017 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 13

I never made an extra tall tier (always did 4"ers)  I don't see any need to double the cakeboards.  A 12" cake is not that heavy really and an extra 1" of cake certainly woun't add that much extra.  

-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 1:35am
post #7 of 13

i mean some cakes are heavy depending on what's in there -- carrot cake for example could buckle one board especially if you pick it up where the grooves can fold right up snap in half easily -- fondanted and fruited cakes are too heavy for a single board -- i wouldn't chance it myself --  

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 3:01am
post #8 of 13

Better to be safe than sorry that is for sure. I would double the cardboard circles also. It never hurts to go the extra mile.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 13

i've seen cake boards snap in half with about to be delivered carrot cake -- ouch and ouch again -- no wedding cake for you!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 13

I like to make my own cake circles as well. Keep any heavy duty cardboard I come across. Like K8memphis, I want my circles sturdy. My chocolate cake is dense and heavy..never want surprises. I also put bamboo skewers between 2 cardboard circles. Glue gun skewers in place, then glue gun  circles together. I then cover my circles in parchment paper, both sides. Doing the bottom of circle first, then wrapping parchment from top over the sides, flipping over and gluing on the bottom.

And..to answer your question:

"And, I guess I don’t truly understand that if you put a 10” cake on a 10” circle, how there is enough room for the SMBC icing without it coming past the edge of the circle. Wouldn’t it be too thin a coating of icing?  Especially with chocolate cake?"

I usually make my circle 1/8" larger than my cake. Then when I ice cake with smbc, I get a nice coating of icing (after crumb coating first) and I ice right over the board. I usually uce my cake using the upside down method. Many useful methods if doing thus on YouTube.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 13

OK I stand corrected :)  Of course it doesn't hurt to dbl boards.....and from what OP says, I wouldn't trust a single one.  Where do you find this special cardboard?  I hope it;'s clean!

Doitright Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you everyone, k8memphis, remnant3333, kakeladi and RobinYummCakes!  And jchuck, thanks for your info on having 1/8” space for icing and how you cover them. I will keep in mind all of the info you all gave me and do my best!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 13

kakeladi I get my groceries in cardboard boxes from Costco, I use those. And I use delivery boxes, pizza boxes too. Of course I use the clean part of the pizza boxes. But they are covered with clean parchment paper, so the cardboard never ever touches the cake anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%