Why Did My Corn Syrup Crystallise Despite Using Cream Of Tartar?

Sugar Work By newbeeatcakes Updated 15 Sep 2017 , 8:06am by newbeeatcakes

newbeeatcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbeeatcakes Posted 13 Sep 2017 , 11:54am
post #1 of 10

Hi 

I made corn syrup for the first time a few days back. I used cream of tartar and also covered the bowl with a lid for 2-3 minutes as suggested in the recipe, to avoid crystallisation. It seemed perfect, but when I took it out today for using in a recipe it was all crystallised. What could be the reason and how can I avoid it? My cream of Tartar packet has an expiry date of 10 Oct 2017. So it should still work ...right? 

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2017 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 10

you made corn syrup? what is the recipe?

did you make fudge??

cream of tartar doesn't prevent crystalization as far as i know --

-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2017 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 10

i use cream of tartar in fudge and that might be something to put a lid on to keep from crystalizing?? or put it in egg dishes like meringues, use it for leavening --

how did you make the corn syrup?

newbeeatcakes Posted 13 Sep 2017 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 10

I used this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-corn-syrup-substitute-simple-syrup-74080

I had read somewhere that cream of tartar, and alternatively lemon, is used to prevent crystallisation. I needed the corn syrup for making modelling chocolate, which turned out all crumbly, so I am wondering if corn syrup was the problem. 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 13 Sep 2017 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 10

I haven't been able to reply for days. Sometimes the threads are there, sometimes they aren't. I can't reply to the other thread you created. I have this video saved and she shows you how to fix the chocolate. Take a look and see if it helps. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 4:52am
post #6 of 10

I just go to the store and buy corn syrup. It is really cheap and I use a couple of tablespoons in my frosting to make it easier for piping lines. It keeps in the refrigerator for a long time. It is much easier than trying to make it.

newbeeatcakes Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 6:27am
post #7 of 10

Thanks ypierce82

newbeeatcakes Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 6:28am
post #8 of 10

We don't get corn syrup here actually. That´s why I had to make it. The recipes online are pretty straight forward.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 11:03am
post #9 of 10

yeah and this recipe gets good reviews -- i see what you mean now about the cream of tartar -- same usage as for my fudge recipe -- you got it all the way up to soft ball stage? wonder why it doesn't work --

here's a random thought -- if you add a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup or agave or something like that -- there's a rice syrup too -- it will also help avoid the crystalization --

ok, one more thought -- you want zero water, zero condensation to form -- so it has to be perfectly room temperature before you put a lid on it -- water will cause your chocolate to seize -- and any little bit of heat will create condensation if you seal it up -- 

cool recipe though -- best to you -- hope this works out for you!

newbeeatcakes Posted 15 Sep 2017 , 8:06am
post #10 of 10

Ya, I heated it till the soft ball stage. Had even calibrated my candy thermometer. Shall try adding honey or maple syrup next time. Thanks! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%