Inexperienced In Culinary Industry

Business By BakeitReal100 Updated 24 Sep 2017 , 10:46pm by Bakrwomyn

BakeitReal100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeitReal100 Posted 12 Sep 2017 , 6:13am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone!

I have a potential job lined up for me that could be great for exposure of the culinary world or could make my passion hell. 

Recently I applied to a local hotel for part time baker. Not even a day later I got called in for an interview with the Executive Chef! I was super excited and extra prepared for the interview. I brought my resume, cake portfolio, and business cards. So I go in for my interview and was told to wait for a bit while someone got the chef. Turns out he completely forgot about the interview so the sou chef interviewed me instead. It was kinda rushed since he was unprepared and in the middle of cooking. But the sou chef really like me and was impressed with my portfolio. At the end, he told me I could do a half day of training the following Monday. So I called the day before just to confirm that I was going to train for a day. But when I called, both the executive chef and the sou chef weren't in that day. Unsure of what to do I just didn't go.

Flash forward to today and I finally got a call from the executive chef and he wants me to come in for a second interview with him. So I'm meeting him on Saturday.  (It kinda annoyed me a bit that he didn't apologize for forgetting our interview). 

I just wanted to ask anyone who has  experience in the culinary industry: Are executive chefs normally like this? The management of the hotel seems a little unorganized. I currently work at a place with poor management. I just don't want to experience it all over again. 

( Thank you to whoever reads this whole thing. I appreciate it.)

3 replies
Bakrwomyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakrwomyn Posted 24 Sep 2017 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 4

Hi BakeItReal,

I've worked in hotels and resorts and personally I think they're hellacious! I don't know why the sous chef and executive chef is interviewing you since the person concerned would be the pastry chef with maybe a follow up from the executive chef. And yes, it seems like most of the time management SUCKS! There's too much bureaucracy and politics involved in a hotel kitchen, to the point where often times I felt like screaming, "For Chrissakes, it's just baked goods we're talking about not the Water Gate tapes!

I would go for something less overwhelming and less high-handed corporation such as a local bakery, a bed and breakfast or a local coffee house looking for locally made baked goods. Remember that when you work for a corporation, you won't have as much freedom to create unless you've been promoted to pastry cook level III position. And part time? Believe me when I tell you that something always happens where you won't be allowed to leave the kitchen because they keep throwing too many last minute items at you to bake up. 

No, my advice is run away from the hotel industry and look for something that will give you creative control. Although I must say, if nothing else, those past jobs have taught me to work quick on my feet, to improvise, and what NOT to do in terms of managing. All these things have helped me to decide on going for my own baking business.

Anyway, this is advice coming from someone with 22+ years of baking but that's my two cents worth.

Keep me updated!

Cara

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2017 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 4

yes what cara said -- but i'm so curious as to why you didn't show up -- i mean if you could perform they might have hired you -- if you don't show up they for sure won't hire you -- always wondered that but would have had to have written what cara said as well -- so i'm glad she said that so i could ask blush

Bakrwomyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakrwomyn Posted 24 Sep 2017 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 4

Image result for winkie emoji

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%