For Sale Due To None Pickup

Lounge By bubs1stbirthday Updated 14 Sep 2017 , 4:18pm by CupCake.Goddess

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 3:52am
post #1 of 11

I know this is mean but I was just scrolling through the local buy swap sell page and found this ad

' Cupcake made for someone that now doesn't want them
Price is to just cover ingredients and time $50 '

[postimage id="7967" thumb="900"]

First off it looks like a toddler mixed the colours and then piped them, second I am guessing that the 'buyer' saw them and backed out. Hopefully they buyer will look at a registered cake business next time and also hopefully the seller may think twice about selling such terrible work as so far there are no takers on these. It seems to becoming more common that these 'non picked up' caked pop up on the site.

10 replies
bubs1stbirthday Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 3:59am
post #2 of 11

For Sale Due To None Pickup

P.S It should say 'non pick up' but I can't edit it.

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 11

Agreed that those are horrible. I posted on an app when someone didn't pick up an order from me but I lowered my price to get rid of them and they looked 100x better.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2017 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 11

let me plead with anyone else that wants to post on this to please be gentle -- we don't know the circumstances under which these were made -- they were made with parameters we know nothing about -- 

disagree: they are NOT horrible

agree: yes this thread is mean -- we just don't exactly know to whom

stop please 

what's the advantage here to reading this -- what's the news in this thread -- somebody made cakes and they got stiffed for their effort -- i hope they don't see this thread as well -- 

CupCake.Goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake.Goddess Posted 8 Sep 2017 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 11

I agree with @ -K8memphis  The one thing I love about CC is there are so many rookie cake designers such as myself who receive so much encouragement from the more experienced bakers who are very kind and are happy to share their knowledge with others.  The beauty of it is there is no bashing each other's work.  Yes, there are different personalities that don't mesh, yet what are we to learn by bashing others?  

We don't know how much time and effort it took to make these cupcakes. They could have been exactly what the customer asked for.  How does anyone know?  I know firsthand how I have put my all into a project and how awful I feel if it doesn't turn out the way I envisioned it.  I don't see "horrible." I see someone's time.  And it is indeed mean.   And cruel. 

This doesn't help anyone here be the best they can be.  As no one (be it 6 months or 40 years of experience presents the perfect cake/cupcakes all the time) our words should be used to uplift others.  Not break them.  That's not cool.  I hope more people who stumble upon this post show compassion and empathy instead of negativity. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2017 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 11

Only being able to log on here & there for about a week I have not been able to respond to this post before. 

I so feel that same way......what a mean spirited reply - and sooo uncalled for.   We all have our own opinions of what looks nice or what something tastes like etc. that don't matter to others and should not be 'spoken' at all.  If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. 

bubs1stbirthday Posted 8 Sep 2017 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 11

I am not going to defend myself, clearly the post if written at all should have been generalised and not specific, for that I do apologise.

What I don't apologise for though is noticing that of late there are a lot more of these posts on f/b buy swap sell sites where people fail to pick up items from people and when  the picture of the item is posted it is far from professional work.

Whatever others may think, I think that if you are going to be selling a product, whatever that may be, then you should spend time and effort making sure that product is of top notch quality. I don't think it's right that the person did not pay for the item, I would have, just out of a sense of it being the right thing to do but I can understand why some people would look at an item like that and not pick it up at all or ask for a refund had they already paid. 

Anyway long story short I think this will happen more and more as more people think that buying a piping tip and a piping bag makes them qualified to sell to people with no effort to actually learn to use those items at all and we can't just keep blaming the customer for it, fault lays on both sides.

CupCake.Goddess Posted 12 Sep 2017 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 11

@ kakeladi  I'm having problems logging in as well.  It would not let me log in from my phone over the weekend.  These bugs need to be fixed asap. :( I stand on what I said: our words should be used to uplift each other, not crush spirits.  Who are we to judge anyone's qualifications, effort or level of skill?  No one makes perfect cakes every time.  Not from what I see on here. 

CC ranges from rookies to veterans, yet no one produces flawless cakes every  time. Not from what I see on here. Everyone has a bad cake day (or two) at some point.  And most importantly, who cares what the customer did or did not do?  Unless they made them for me, its none of my business. 

But there is good in everything.  I saw a tragic wedding cake on here I would've thrown a tantrum over if it was delivered to me in that condition.  However, this post made me stop and think about the negativity could've went through my mind so I left it alone.  It wasn't my cake so again *shrugs* its not my business to judge.  I don't know who made it but they were proud of it and the bride and groom didnt complain so... 

I'm not bashing anyone.  Unless someone is creating offense, then there would be no need for defense. What I am saying is if anyone has skill or talent, then use it to help others.  Don't tear them down. Its not right as people may have struggles in their lives they are trying to overcome we are unaware of.  This person could've used their last dime to buy ingredients and wasn't compensated.  How do we know?

This is also no one's business yet I'm going to share it anyway. 

I began baking one day due to my little girl (who is autistic) continuously having meltdowns and I didn't know what to do.  In spite of all of my education, fancy credentials and experience, I couldn't help her.  I was overwhelmed and very, very sad.  The year before, I ordered a cake from a baker and told her I wanted Jacob from Twilight on the cake.  Twilight was huge for girls back then. 

I informed her only wanted Jacob on the cake--not Edward.  Not Bella.  Well, when I retrieved the cake, she had a picture of Edward on it!  When I tasted it, it was the worst cake I ever tasted.   What's worst?  My daughter seldom speaks yet when I gave her the cake, she tapped on the box and said "What's this?"  She was so angry.  She didn't like Edward.  Not at all. She wouldn't eat a bite of it.  I actually cried (something I seldom do). 

So the next year, I decided I would make her cakes from now on.  I was working on plans for her birthday cake and wanted something special.  When I began baking, I realized it calmed me and I truly enjoyed it.  It was magic! I have a passion for it and want to get better and better each day.  The first birthday cake was ok, the second one is better now this will be my third year in a row baking her birthday cake (this month) and it will be posted on here. 

First birthday cake I made for her:  I tried to do rosettes but...I failed.  The good news was it was delicious! For Sale Due To None Pickup

Last year's birthday cake: She loved this one too! For Sale Due To None Pickup

I say this to encourage people.  Listen to my story and use it for good. If someone had trashed my work at that time, after all the stress I was under, it would've killed my enthusiasm to keep trying.  Now?  I could give a flying bag of peanuts what anyone has to say about what I produce.  If they don't like it? Keep scrolling. 

I will reinterate my point is to encourage people.  Who knows may be the next culinary star due to someone taking the time to be patient and kind?

"Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we instructed you before." Thessalonians 4:11 

That's the rule I try to live by.  I work with my hands and mind my own business. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2017 , 12:05am
post #9 of 11

put it this way, cupcakegoddess, if you run for office you've not only got my vote, i'll do a bumper sticker and a yard sign too, the big one hahahaha

blush clap

thank you so much for your sweet story -- not to mention i love loving-hands-at-home cakes those are the best as are you

CupCake.Goddess Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 11

LOL!!!!  Sweet!  You rock k8memphis!!! Ha!  No problemo.  Hey, we all have things we experience throughout our lives that may help others.  I didn't begin baking until 3 years ago.  Now, I can't stop! I'm always looking for new ways to do cakes and bring smiles to others.  Its contagious! : )

CupCake.Goddess Posted 14 Sep 2017 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 11

LOL!!!!  Sweet!  You rock k8memphis!!! Ha!  No problemo.  Hey, we all have things we experience throughout our lives that may help others.  I didn't begin baking until 3 years ago.  Now, I can't stop! I'm always looking for new ways to do cakes and bring smiles to others.  Its contagious! : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%