What Causes Buttercream Breakthrough?

Decorating By Steph_2009 Updated 2 Sep 2017 , 5:58pm by kakeladi

Steph_2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph_2009 Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 5

What Causes Buttercream Breakthrough?I don't know if you can see in the picture what's happened but i put fondant on my cake last night then finished decoration today (the birdcage effect,  flowers etc) and was quite pleased until i turned it and noticed this area where the buttercream is bursting out of the fondant.

What has caused It? Did i wet my fondant too much? Did i push my flowers on too hard? It looks like its getting worse...

Any quick and easy way of fixing It? X

4 replies
erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 5

the quick fix is to stick some more flowers on the hole! No one will know.  No idea why your fondant is doing that - perhaps you had a small section that was rolled too thin.

Steph_2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph_2009 Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 5

I thought about that but it appears that the fondant is bulging out as a lump. Going to get ready for a party to take the cake  to so wll see if  i have time :-)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 5

This is discussed many times on this and other sites.  Some call them 'blowouts' - & there are other names for it..  There are as many ways to 'prevent' this from happening as there are names for the problem :(    Mostly it is caused by not getting the fondant tight against the cake allowing air to be trapped in, then it pushes (erupts) it's way out.  Probably the most important thing is to be sure the cake is covered w/an even layer of icing or piping gel and that you massage the fondant onto the cake well.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 5

As for the lump......again it is air traped so take a pin and stick it into the fondant lump from the underside and gently push out the air. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%