How Long Will A Stacked Cake Last?

Decorating By cuky21 Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:57pm by kakeladi

cuky21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuky21 Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! For the first time, I received an order for a 3 tier cake for 100 people smiley but I have 2 questions.

1. How long will a stacked cake last? My client is asking me to deliver the cake on a Saturday morning, but the party is on Sunday (it will be cut around 12pm), and I am afraid it could fall off or something, The only stacked cake I've made was a 2 tier cake which I stacked around 8 hours before the event.

2. How many wooden dowels should I use for each tier? The cakes will be 6", 9" and 12".

Thank you! And I apologize for my bad English =)

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 4

As you have already seen from your own 2 tier delivery it can last for many, many hours.  If properly put together tiered cake can stand for a week!   It's all about proper doweling; having each tier level etc.   As to how many dowels to use for ea tier - 1st I strongly suggest you use plastic drink straws.  Get the thickest ones you can find.  I usually go to McDonalds and ask if I can have a handful  (I'm retiered - don't make many cakes anymore so am not doing it daily LOL )  In the 12" I suggest 8 spread around a 8" circle (never put one in the middle) and in the 9" you only need 3 placed in a triangle fashion.     BTW:  Your English is perfect :)

cuky21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuky21 Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I have very little experience so I am terrified. I haven't been able to find those drink straws in my country :( they seem to be so much more easy to work with.

Quote by @kakeladi on 43 minutes ago

As you have already seen from your own 2 tier delivery it can last for many, many hours.  If properly put together tiered cake can stand for a week!   It's all about proper doweling; having each tier level etc.   As to how many dowels to use for ea tier - 1st I strongly suggest you use plastic drink straws.  Get the thickest ones you can find.  I usually go to McDonalds and ask if I can have a handful  (I'm retiered - don't make many cakes anymore so am not doing it daily LOL )  In the 12" I suggest 8 spread around a 8" circle (never put one in the middle) and in the 9" you only need 3 placed in a triangle fashion.     BTW:  Your English is perfect :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 4

Then go ahead and use the wooden dowels.  Use the same number and placement.,  Put one dowel in the cake, mark where it meets the cake/icing and cut ALL the dowels for that tier the same height/size.     

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%