Melting Buttercream!!!

Decorating By Morgan8304 Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 9:19pm by kakeladi

Morgan8304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Morgan8304 Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 4

So the last two cakes i've made the buttercream melted! Is there anyway this can be prevented? I cant sell my cakes if they are melting! I know I would be super upset if I paid for something that melts before the event!

3 replies
katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 4

I'm making a wedding cake next week and concerned about warmer weather. I'm planning to use my regular buttercream but sub in some hi-ratio shortening for part or half of the butter (you could use only shortening if it was going to be really hot/humid). Or I might try out other recipes (SMBC possibly) that allow you to add in some of that HRS just for the peace of mind. I don't want to worry about melting or structure changing! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 4

i mean what were the conditions that caused the melting -- was it melty when you iced the cake? did it get too warm -- was it set outside -- did you box it and fully chill it for delivery -- 

i use all butter icing -- it can be hot as heck in memphis with 100% humidity -- all butter -- never had my cakes melt -- which i'm  not lording it over you -- i'm just running my mouth -- running the air conditioning in the car only works if no one ever opens the door and the cake is never sitting in the sun -- which when you're driving it's in and out of the sun  --

there are recipes for high humidity icing and fully fridge your cakes and enclose in boxes for delivery --

advise your peeps that cakes are fragile and don't stop at the store with the cake in the car -- carefully carefully travel with the cake, guard it from heat changes -- because like you know, it will melt otherwise --

i keep all my stuff climate controlled -- we had mini tacos and taquitos for a neighborhood watch meeting last night -- i put them hot out of the oven into parchment lined boxes -- covered with foil -- toss it in the trunk -- 5 minutes to the meeting and all is well -- climate controlled --leftovers tucked safely into fridge withing two hours -- same for cakes --

lemme know if you have any other questions -- best to you

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 4

I have worked w/b'cream almost exclusively over 30 yrs and have *never!* had it melt.   Please show pix or describe what is going on - where you live - etc so we can try to help. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%