Dummy Cakes & Fondant

Decorating By ryleezmom Updated 24 Aug 2017 , 10:46pm by avrotier

ryleezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ryleezmom Posted 23 Aug 2017 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 3

Hello from Sunny Arizona!!

Okay, so I have a wedding coming up and the bride wants to do a 3 tier "dummy cake" as the centerpiece and 300 cupcakes for the guests. (yes! I love cupcakes!!!) I have to travel from AZ to CA with this so my question is: Can I fondant my 4" rounds a week in advance and have them still be nice, and if so, what would be best to adhere them to the Styrofoam? I have heard mixed ideas from shorting, to piping gel to just water. Below is what the bride wants the and ribbons will be put on the day of with simple straight pins in the back of the cake. 

Ideas, are always welcome! Thanks!!

Dummy Cakes & Fondant

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2017 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 3

You should be able to do that w/o a problem......well there could be one problem.  Sometimes one gets a 'blowout' with either b'cream or fondant.  Usually if it's not too bad, one can just stick a pin into the bubble on the underside & gently push the air out and it won't be seen.   I have used piping gel or water to stick the fondant.  Depends a lot on how long you want to keep them ..... most of mine were for display in my shop.   I'm thinking gel woulde be best for your needs here.  Be sure to get the whole! surface covered well/completely so the possibility of a blowout is reduced greatly.  Make sure you press that fondant well onto the dummy. 

avrotier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avrotier Posted 24 Aug 2017 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 3

For dummies you use shortening to adhere the fondant. This allows you to lift and move the fondant.  Piping gel or water will get sticky and make it difficult to lift or shift the fondant.  You can cover the dummies well in advance. It will dry out of course but there should be no problems. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%