Wedding Cakes

Business By daracelim Updated 16 Sep 2017 , 3:16am by MamaGeese

daracelim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daracelim Posted 23 Aug 2017 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 5

Ok so now that people have started to admire my work/cakes ,i have started  to get inquiry questions for big cakes (4-5 tiered), which is great bc I have been waiting for this forever. However I am so scared to fail ,its out of my comfort zone I guess. As for the cake,I Know I can do it for sure ,I just am not sure if I have the proper equipment to do wedding cakes .even thougb I recently  made a beautiful 4 tier buttercream  but it was for pickup .customer had an accident with the heat even though  my supports we're there and I told them to turn on the AC in the car.Ive some questions.please help 1. Do all wedding cakes need to be assembled on site? 2. Can I continue with my regular fridge I can't afford another one right now but I really want to grow my business 3. I use boba straws for support and a middle dowel through all tiers but do bigger cakes require a metal premade support system or should I make one out of pvc and wood so I don't have to collect a deposit if so how much deposit for these rentals. 4. I have no wedding cake stands I only sell the cake. 5 I made an official contract but I work out of my apartment and this is where I meet customers . Idk if I should include taste testings ...i am so ready to grow but I am not sure what else I need for now I will borrow mom's car (sub) to deliver these cakes since she has an airconditioned trunk  I know I have a long way to go but I really want to succeed I've seen other ppl easily deliver wedding cakes I have attached my previous work

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2017 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 5

1. Do all wedding cakes need to be assembled on site? .........NO

2. Can I continue with my regular fridge I can't afford another one right now but I really want to grow my business    ......Sure.  One of the things you have to be careful of is that here be no strong smelling/tasting foods in the frig w/your cake(s).

3. I use boba straws for support and a middle dowel through all tiers but do bigger cakes require a metal premade support system or should I make one out of pvc and wood so I don't have to collect a deposit if so how much deposit for these rentals.  ........I have never used anything more than a somewhat thicker dowel in the center of my cakes.  Mostly I delievered partly put together...like 2 tiers, 2 tiers & the 3rd one seperate, then put them together on site.  I have delivered may 3 & 4 tiered cakes with NO center dowel at all.  You just have to know the roads and how to drive carefully. 

4. I have no wedding cake stands I only sell the cake.  ...I  didn't either.  Most of my cakes were displayed on a cake board base.  You can see in my album on this site.

5 I made an official contract but I work out of my apartment and this is where I meet customers . Idk if I should include taste testings ...i am so ready to grow but I am not sure what else I need for now    ........As long as there is no problem w/your apt management there should be no problem.   Tastings are often asked for by people who have never had your cakes before.  It often leads to an order so be prepared to offer 2 or 3 flavors and show pix of your work &/or what you are able to make (do well!).

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 24 Aug 2017 , 4:08am
post #3 of 5

1. Assemble on site ..... NOOOOO!

2. Yes on the fridge, there has been many times my Bf asked if we are having cake for dinner cuz it was taking over our fridge!

3. Support wise, if you google, Pinterest, or youtube it shows you many different ways to dowel cakes. Just don't over dowel so you have no cake when they cut into. I use thick plastic dowel's in my cake. Never have I placed a center one down the middle. your choice. With enough support in each tier you should not need the center dowel.

4. If the bride wants to rent or buy a cake stand that is up to them. Do not get involved with the rental process either. Incase they don't return it and you don't get your refund back. My local cake store has thicker boards wrapped in foil, gold sliver, white. I put cakes on these but they are more expensive so make sure you include in your cost.

5. I have started to give "to go" tastings, and I charge for them. If they book with me I take the price of the tasting off the wedding cake. You could always 

I would not put the cake in your trunk! Floorboard of your car or floor board of back seat with the Ac on! I let my cakes sit in the fridge, assembled, for a few hours before delivering. DO NOT let anyone "pick up" their wedding cake 

daracelim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daracelim Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for your feedback I just needed some confidence I have one 5 tier due next month

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 16 Sep 2017 , 3:16am
post #5 of 5

I always assemble and do borders on cakes at site...just makes me way too nervous to try and transport it already put together. I think a lot depends on how much time you will have,etc. I still have almost panic attacks when getting a cake to destination and set up. I've even toyed with the idea of doing a similar fake cake to have on hand just in case....wish I could relax about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%