I Have A Vision. Fondant, Gum Paste Or Modeling Chocolate...sculptors Please Help.

Decorating By aldonza Updated 5 Sep 2017 , 9:24pm by -K8memphis

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 22 Aug 2017 , 1:46am
post #1 of 10

I have a client who requested a 2 layer 9" round yellow cake with white icing. The person who the cake is for bakes pies. My vision is to make an oven with a little pie in it, a rolling pin and crust, and a mixing bowl and spoon and put it on top of the cake. What is the best medium to use? Thanks!

9 replies
Crystal72384 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal72384 Posted 22 Aug 2017 , 10:36am
post #2 of 10

I made something similar here for my sons birthday. He loves to do laundry

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2017 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 10

so the oven sits on top of the nine inch cake? i tell yah -- for beginner sculptors i like marzipan -- it takes color like crazy and is more forgiving/secure than fondant -- but all of the mediums you listed would work --

the most important thing to me is that the pieces can be eaten -- i would avoid gum paste -- i would advise you to add flavor to the fondant -- it's candy -- zip it up -- peeps will love it --

but there's learning curves to each different one too --  

Crystal72384 Posted 22 Aug 2017 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not sure why my whole thing didn't post. Here is something similar that I made for my sons birthday. I sculpted the washing machine out of rice crispies then covered it in melted chocolate. I used a micro planer to get it smooth and flat then I panned it with modeling chocolate. I Have A Vision. Fondant, Gum Paste Or Modeling Chocolate...sculptors Please Help.

Crystal72384 Posted 22 Aug 2017 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 10

It won't let me edit my post. I meant to say paneled.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Aug 2017 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 10

For some reason, I was visualizing the stove, itself, to be the cake with a door similar to Crystal's washer, and the pie inside.  If that is your thinking, I would cover the cake/stove with fondant and make all the accessories from fondant with a bit of Tylose or modeling chocolate.  Probably, I would use fondant, since I already had it, instead of making a batch of modeling chocolate for a few accessories.

aldonza Posted 22 Aug 2017 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 10

OMG that cake is cute as all get out!!!!!! That washing machine is fabulous! I love it! Thank you for explaining how to make it...I prob would have made a big lump of fondant into a stove shape and Lord only knows what would have happened!   My nephew's name is Grayson...he's 4. @Crystal72384 ‍ so you made that lumberjack cake. That stump is awesome!  So thank you to everyone! You all are so helpful! So like why does my cake have to be round? I can make a square cake (who knew and I even have square pans lol) and turn it into an oven like @SandraSmiley ‍ suggested. I really need to start thinking out of the box a little more. @K8memphis I have never used marzipan. I look forward to trying it sometime. Glad to hear it takes color well! You guys rock!

<3 Donna

aldonza Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 10

I Have A Vision. Fondant, Gum Paste Or Modeling Chocolate...sculptors Please Help.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 10

You did a great job, Aldonza!  I would love to see the recipients face when she sees it!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2017 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 10

so cute! i wanna piece of pie hahahahaha -- adorable -- i know she loved it

clap

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%