Confused By This Recipe

Baking By lilywhite Updated 22 Aug 2017 , 12:25am by bubs1stbirthday

lilywhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilywhite Posted 21 Aug 2017 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 4

This recipe is throwing me for a loop. A little back story. My fiances mother gave me this recipe about a year ago, she mentioned that this was the cake she wanted for her wedding almost 40 years ago but she never got. I'm making her this cake for their anniversary next week. The main problem is the original recipe is for 200 servings. So my question are. How do i scale this recipe down ( I've tried online calculators) Why corn starch AND cake flour? i know the trick to use corn starch with AP to make cake flour but have never seen one with both. It says, as you'll read, to cook some of the egg and sugar, then whip it, i'm assuming this is to add air to rise like an angel food since there's no leavening used? Any help would be great!! 

72 eggs 
24 egg yolks 
4 lbs. 14oz. sugar 
2lbs. 10 oz. almond paste 
12 oz. sugar 
12 eggs 
3 lemons, zest of 
2lbs. 4oz. cake flour 
2lbs. 4oz. corn starch 
2lbs. 4oz. melted buttercombine the 72 eggs and 24 yolks and sugar in a double boiler. 
whip mixture over low heat. bring mixture up to 115-120 
remove from heat and continue to beat until mixture reaches 
room temp. 
mix together almond paste, 12 oz. sugar, 12 eggs and zest. 
add to whipped egg mixture. sift corn starch and flour 
gently old into egg and sugar mixture. incorporate melted butter

3 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 21 Aug 2017 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 4

2 pounds 4 ounces of cornstarch?  Dang!  

As for scaling it down... I would turn all the pounds + ounces into just ounces...

then divide by 12... 

200 becomes 16.6...

72 becomes 6...

etc...

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 21 Aug 2017 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 4

I can't get past the fact that it's calling for 108 eggs for 200 servings.  I don't believe it's going to rise very much with that many eggs.  Is this supposed to be a type of sponge?

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 22 Aug 2017 , 12:25am
post #4 of 4

How many servings do you actually need? To scale it down I would work on finding a neat division on the eggs first then work out the rest of the ingredients basing the initial division on the amount of servings you actually need.

If you can convert the recipe to grams it will give you a neater conversion too as (and don't quote me on this) I believe than an ounce is 30 grams? so using grams would be a lot more accurate. when you divide it all up. There are plenty of on line converters that can help there anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%