Unicorn Cake With Gumpaste/fondant Wings. Hi, I Was Wondering If Anyone Had Made Large Wings For The Back Of A Unicorn Cake

Decorating By ACcakeboutique Updated 9 Aug 2017 , 5:32pm by ACcakeboutique

ACcakeboutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ACcakeboutique Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 11:03am
post #1 of 5

I have seen the meringue wings made by Veronica at love and confection but the cake I'm interested in doing has what looks like fondant wings. I was hoping someone could give a bit of advice about how best to achieve this? Ie. Attaching to cake etc, stability..  hope you can help or I'll have to do in head first trip and error! Unicorn Cake With Gumpaste/fondant Wings. Hi, I Was Wondering If Anyone Had Made Large Wings For The Back Of A Unicorn Cake

4 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 5

Never seen one with wings. Really cute. I would attach them to the cake with melted chocolate at the long side of each wing, but I would not attach them until it has been delivered so that they didn't break or fall off during transport. You could even use some thick royal icing to attach them. 

ACcakeboutique Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply! Yes it is super cute with wings isn't it!? How would you go about making the wings? Out of gumpaste? does it look more like a full wing with feathers drawn on with a tool?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 5

@ACcakeboutique ‍, in the photo, it appears to be two layers of gum paste or fondant with feathers drawn on (a smaller one in front - against the cake - of the larger).  I would use fondant with a whole bunch of Tylose added, to the point that it is almost like pastillage and hard to roll out.  Heat it in the microwave to make rolling easier.  It will dry as hard as a rock.  Because the wings are large, it might be a good idea to dry them on a cake dummy or a form to simulate the shape of the finished cake.  If they are curved, more of the surface will come in contact with the cake allowing for a more secure bond.  I agree that melted chocolate would probably be the best adhesive.

You could also make the wings from wafer paper, which would give a more realistic appearance and be as light (dare I say it) as a feather.

ACcakeboutique Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 5

@SandraSmiley ‍ thanks for that! Brilliant tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%