Freezing Cakes?

Baking By Nikkolebee Updated 9 Aug 2017 , 7:52pm by kakeladi

Nikkolebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikkolebee Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 7:09am
post #1 of 6

Hi all! I had a question. I'm still learning many things about Cake baking and decorating and I know it is definitely possible to freeze cakes but I'm still in the phase where I bake them till the day before or the day of because I'm afraid they will lose their freshness and moisture. Now that I've become more busy with orders, I've been really thinking about baking my cakes a couple days before and throwing them in the freezer. For example, I have three cakes due on Saturday so I was thinking of possibly baking them on Wednesday, freezing them, and taking them out on Friday and allowing them to thaw out a bit to begin decorating. Would this work? Or would it be better to bake them on Thursday and then freeze them over night for Friday. The only thing is that, I hear many people freeze their cakes but when it's from scratch. I work from a store boxed mix but I substitute water with milk and vegetable oil with butter and add an extra egg, all to increase the quality of the boxed mix. So, mainly, I would just like to know if anyone can tell me if it's okay to start my baking by Wednesday (or if Thursday would be better) and then freezing them? I highly struggle with getting my cakes done on time and I would really like to change that and possibly start having them ready by the night before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

5 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 6

Scratch or box, you can freeze your cakes.  The only difference I have read about is between oil cakes vs butter cakes (butter cakes take a bit longer to come to room temp, so some mistake a still chilled cake as a dry cake simply because the butter has not come to room temp yet).  

I have a full time job, so I bake my cakes at least a week in advance.  If it's a wedding cake, I start two to three weeks out, so I have "just in case" cakes ready :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with 640Cake, cake can definitely be frozen and freezing actually improves the texture and moisture.  Wrap the tiers in a double thickness of cling wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil and they will stay fresh for months.  While I don't recommend it, I remember my husband and I eating our wedding cake top tier on our first anniversary and it was just as good as on our wedding day.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 6

I have been freezing cakes for years. Sometimes up to a month in advance. Sandra posted about eating the top tier of her wedding cake. My niece did the same, and said it was still fresh and delicious. I made her wedding cake.  And it doesn't matter if your cake is a doctored box mix or scratch, still freezes well.

Nikkolebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikkolebee Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 6

That's awesome! I can't believe it can even be done weeks and especially months in advanced!!! And that it still taste delicious! I'm definitely going to start baking today! Thank you all so much for your super helpful advice! It's definitely going to change things for me! I thank you for helping me along my new journey! It's greatly appreciated! Much love to you all!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 6

My goodness you have worn yourself out baking the day before or day of - especially since you work full time at another job!  It is totally UNnecessary.  YES, go ahead and bake up a storm on Monday, Tues or Wedensday before orders are needed. In fact you can bake as much as a couple of month in advance when fzing cakes.   PLEASE - NO more baking the day of!!   Cakes will not dry out/not be fresh by freezing them. Just the opposit.  The become much more evenly moist.  Haven't yhou read all the posts on here about that? :)   Once cooled, put them on a cake board & wrap them in plastic wrap, pop them into a plastic bag & fz. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%