Help With Tier Sizes

Baking By Steph_2009 Updated 9 Aug 2017 , 2:10am by Steph_2009

Steph_2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph_2009 Posted 7 Aug 2017 , 7:53am
post #1 of 7

Hi all

My husband's uncle got in touch and asked me to make a 14 inch square cake for his first anniversary. As I dont have one (and also feel a little apprehensive about making one  that big) I said I would do 2 tiers instead. He wants enough cake for 75 people.

I looked on a variety of cake serving charts and was planning on making a 10inch and an 8 inch square however some of the charts appear to not give 75 servings with these sizes?

Any recommendations?

Thanks xxx

6 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 7 Aug 2017 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 7

A 10" and a 8" square tiers will give you enough for 75 servings if you cut the slices in the typical wedding cake cutting guide of having 1"x2" slices.  Usually for parties, and just in general, people want a more generous serving of cake (at least I do blush).  So I would follow the party servings from the Wilton site (see below).

Here is the Wilton serving chart...http://www.wilton.com/cake-serving-guide/cms-baking-serving-guide.html

There is also this helpful guide from a post on here...http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1300479/square-cake-cutting-and-servings-guide

If you are not going to be there to cut the cake, then make sure you give a cutting guide to whoever will be serving the cake because not everyone is well versed in how to cut a cake to get the actual serving amount.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2017 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 7

What size & shape pans do you have to use?  That would help us figure out what to suggest.   There are many different ways to come up w/the # you need.....

Steph_2009 Posted 8 Aug 2017 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the replies everyone :-)

I guess because the original request was for a 14 inch square i though a 10 and 8 inch square would be enough.

I have the following pans but could buy different sizes:

Round:

6, 7, 8, & 9 inch

Square:

10 & 12 inch.

I dont want to not make enough. But i don't want to have such a big too tier i dont know how to adequately decorate it. Was planning to practise some sugarpaste flowers to put on the top.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 8 Aug 2017 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 7

Have you considered going ahead with the 10" and 8" tiers and then make cupcakes to supplement the remaining servings?  So you would need an additional 25 cupcakes.  I would probably go ahead and make 3 dozen and you could always freeze the extra or provide the extra and then have take home boxes for extra cake/cupcakes on hand just in case.  In my opinion, it is always better to have a little extra cake then not enough.  Some people may not eat any but others may eat more than just one serving.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2017 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 7

Only you know your family enough to guess if uncle wants bigger pieces or the standard 1x2x4 slice.  It also depends on what other food, if any, is offered.  Talk to him.  Yes, 8 & 10 tiers (4" tall) will give you enough.  If you want to offer a few extra cupcakes that's fine.l  Are you charging anything for this?  If so be sure to figure no less than $3 or $3.50 per serving - including the cupcakes. 

Steph_2009 Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 2:10am
post #7 of 7

Love the idea of additional cupcakes. Got some fab ideas for design for them.

Think i am undercharging as only started business in june - still learning and don't have loads of pictures in my portfolio yet. So said I'd do 2 tiers for £60...

As i said earlier i assumed a 10 & 8 would be enough as he only asked for a 14inch square 1 tier originally but looking at the charts and him saying 75 people has put doubts in my head.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%