Thawing And Decorating With Buttercream

Decorating By Lag364 Updated 7 Aug 2017 , 8:34pm by kakeladi

Lag364 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lag364 Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 11:54am
post #1 of 4

I currently have a two layer 9x13 cake in my freezer. I have already crumb costed it. I also have a frozen buttercream transfer in the freezer.  What is the best method AND timeline to thaw the cake, finish icing it, and put the buttercream transfer on top?  This is for a party a week from now.  One concern is condensation accumulating on the buttercream transfer and causing colors to bleed.  I also do not want to thaw the actual cake too early and have it dry out.  This is my first cake using this method so any advice is welcome. 

Thank you!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 4

The cake would need to defrost a couple of hours before icing it. Take it out of the fzr into the frig overnight.  Then it's ready to finish icing.  It's been a long time since I've used a BC transfer and don't remember much about condensation problems.  I would leave the transfer in the fzr until the very last minute, adding it just before needing it.   You don't say when you need this cake finished but once a cake is properly crumb coated it will not dry out.  It can sit on the counter as long as 3 days before doing anything more to it. 

Lag364 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lag364 Posted 7 Aug 2017 , 12:26am
post #3 of 4

Thanks! The party is Saturday, so 5-6 days from now.  As an added curveball, I live in DC and will be driving to NC Friday after work.  My plan is to completely finish the cake and transport it down to NC in a cardboard cake box and a cooler with dry ice, along with other food for the party.  Any changes to your helpful suggestions with those additional facts in mind would be great.  Thanks again!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2017 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 4

I guess since you work - especially on Friday, then leave for the road trip, you should plan on icing & decorating it Thursday (night?).  As long as you can keep the cake cool on the trip I don't forsee any problems.  Maybe, have everything done except leave the transfer in the fzr until just before you leave on Fri.  I see no need to put the cake back in the fzr once you have it iced & most of the decorating (borders etc) done. Then just slap that transfer on Fri after work & walk out the door:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%