Painting With Concentrated Gel & Rejuvenator Spirit, Why Won't It Dissolve?

Sugar Work By DeniseT Updated 6 Aug 2017 , 11:57pm by DeniseT

DeniseT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseT Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 9:33am
post #1 of 4

Hi all, hope you can help as I'm a bit confused and am running out of time. I'm making a guitar cake for my son this week and took advice from a shop about the best sort of coloured gel, and how to apply it. I did a test fondant paint yesterday with the Rolkem gel paints. The colours are amazing. I did have a problem getting them to dissolve with the rejuvenator spirit though. It doesn't work if you put the gel into a container of spirit, as advised by the shop, it just seems to break up into bits. I tried it the other way around and added the spirit to the gel bit by bit - it was slightly better but it took a long time mixing with the paintbrush and there were still little bits that wouldn't dissolve which of course get stuck on your brush. It was the same when I tried vodka as an alternative. Thought I'd check in with you in case I'm doing something wrong or could it be because Rolkem is so concentrated? I've also emailed the shop for advice.

Many thanks

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 4

sorry i don't know -- i've never used it -- maybe try another gel that's not so concentrated

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 4

maybe thin the gel with something first -- like glycerine -- 

DeniseT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseT Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks K8memphis - I'm going to try this tomorrow

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%