Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 7 Aug 2017 , 8:24pm by kakeladi

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 11

Haven't been here in a while and haven't decorated in a while!  I am decorating my 7 year old's Moana cake for her party tomorrow (Sunday 8/6) and need some help with logistics.  Party is 30 mins away, from 2-4pm.  Cake will likely be served at around 3:00/3:30.  I leave the house at 12:45 to pick up balloons and head to venue to set up.

I had no time to bake this week, so I bought plain cakes from a local bakery (Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting], right?).  As far as I know, their cakes are fairly firm and they use buttercream between layers.  It may be SMBC, because it looks super smooth, but I'm not really sure.  They basic-ice the outside.

My plan (pic of sketch below) was to cover the bottom, 8" tier in fondant the color of Maui's skin and then hand paint all of the tattooing.  This will take a while, of course.  The bakery's instructions are refrigerate until 1 hour before cutting.  I know there are various opinions about refrigerating fondant and whether you can without melting or running.  I make my own fondant, which probably makes it more susceptible to any sweating that might occur.  Plus, it will take at least an hour or two to hand paint all of the tattooing, so it will be out for that time, plus travel to, set up, party time, and then serving at about 3/3:30.

Question is, when do I cover in fondant?  When do I do painting? Do I refrigerate between?  Do I refrigerate at venue?  What the heck would you do!? (Reminder, I leave house at 12:45!)

P.S. I have a 6" tier that will sit on top with figurines on top of that, so I planned to put dowels in the bottom/fondant tier after I cover it.  Then, I will run one central sharpened dowel into that tier, make a hole in the bottom/center of the top tier disc and slide it on at party.  So cake will not be stacked during storage or travel. 

Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 11

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 11

What if.......you used the paneling method to cover the bottom tier - cover the top of your bottom tier with fondant, but not the sides.  You could roll out your fondant a little wider than the height of your cake and long enough to wrap all the way around the tier, paint the tattoos onto the panel while it is lying flat, then cover it with cling wrap to keep it soft.  Keep your cake in the refrigerator until shortly before your plan to leave, then remove it from the frig and wrap it with the tattoo painted fondant.  Trim the top edge to fit and you are done.  That way you don't have to worry about your painting running due to condensation. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 1:42am
post #4 of 11

I think the fondant will sweat if you apply it before the cake is at room temperature if there is a vast difference between the fridge temperature and room temperature.

If the bakery is open why don't you give them a call and find out what they iced/filled the cake with so you can make an educated guess about whether you are happy to keep the cake at room temperature for an extended period of time.

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 3:33am
post #5 of 11

I always put fondant on my cakes straight from the refrigerator and they do not condensate.

lrlt2000 Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 11

Seems to be fine so far! I kind of had to cover it right out of the fridge because their bc is super soft and I knew it'd start getting too soft to hold form for fondant.  I'm going to wait for the fondant to dry up a bit before I start painting.  I have other things I can work on.

Thanks for everyone's advice!  Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]

lrlt2000 Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 11

Turned out great!  Had no issues with sweating or bleeding of the painting!  

Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]Wwyd? [Refrig/fondant/handpainting]

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 11

Fabulous!

lrlt2000 Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 11

Not sure why all of my cake pics are sideways confused They're not that way on my phone.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Aug 2017 , 3:27am
post #10 of 11

The cake turned out great :-)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2017 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 11

Great news that you didn't have problems and great job on the whole thing:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%