Buttercream With Holes/air Bubbles

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 5 Aug 2017 , 5:12pm by kakeladi

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 4:19am
post #1 of 5

I made ancrusting buttercream and thought it was perfect until I went to smooth it.  It kept getting the little holes in it and I couldn't get it 100% smooth.  I followed the directions to a tee and made sure to mix on low only so I didn't incorporate too much air.  It was a half butter half hi ratio shortening recipe.  What else could be the problem?  It wasn't a big deal this time because I was just practicing the smoothing and ended up making it messy to look like water but I'd like to be able to do it when needed.  Any suggestions??

thanks!

4 replies
EverAfter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverAfter Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 4:47am
post #2 of 5

I would put it back in the mixer with the paddle attachment and mix on the lowest setting for a couple of minutes. If I let my buttercream or royal sit too long, air bubbles appear as well and that is what I do to remedy it. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 5:17am
post #3 of 5

You can also just take a spatula and beat it by hand after you have made it, this will knock a lot of those pesky air bubbles out of it.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks!!!  It was sitting for a few hours so that's probably it! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2017 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, b'cream will bubble when left at room temp for more than a few minutes.  Letting it mix on the lowest setting your mixer has for up to 5 (even 10) minutes should cure your woes :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%