What To Do After Wilton?

Decorating By Tracymerlau Updated 31 Jul 2017 , 8:24pm by kakeladi

Tracymerlau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracymerlau Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 1:11am
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I have taken all of the local Wilton courses in my area and I would like to continue learning.  I inquired with my instructor regarding the Wilton School but she had no info to offer. I tried twice contacting the Wilton School direct, but never received a return call. I've tried a few Craftsy on line classes but they don't work for me very well. Called my local community college and all they could offer was a culinary degree for $14,000.  EEEEEk!

Any suggestions?  

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 4:00am
post #2 of 7

http://www.wilton.com/learn-wilton-school/

Wilton school classes...all in Illinois. If you become a Wilton instructor, you get 40% off- even at the school I believe. :)

Culinary degree may not be it, but some choices classes at the community college may work for you. All require food handling class first, but then you can pick and choose (at least in Austin, TX).

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 7

Cake decorating is mostly about muscle memory and creativity. You just need to keep practicing and looking for inspiration. Practice a lot at home... get books at the library... watch youtube...

Cake-Monster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Monster Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 7

I didn't take Wilton classes, but I realized I was hitting a wall at home in terms of self teaching. So I started applying to work at local bakeries around me. I'm about three weeks in at my new job and I'm already learning a lot, both in terms of what they're showing me and just from observation. If it fits your situation, you should consider it.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 7

oh...I love youtube too! And remember a real "school", in any form doesn't always have the best/ inspirational teachers.

Tracymerlau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracymerlau Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 7

You all have just been awesome!  Thank you all so much for sparing your time to answer. This is a great community. I just joined Saturday. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 7

Attending the Wilton school is nothing more than taking each class again.....all at one time.  No I have not attended because other teachers who had said I didn't need to - this was years ago - about 3-5 yrs after I stared decorating - back in the '80s.    I doubt things have changed.  Better to find 'big name' decorators and take classes from them.  Right off hand I can't think of any but w/a little investaging I'm sure you will be able to locate some who offer a class or more.   Also study YouTube.  There is a wealth of informtion on the web .  Just practice, practice pratice.  It take lots of practice to improve.  With YouTube you can see how things are done.....not like trying to learn from reading a book and nobody to show you if/when you are not doing it right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%