Cake Mix For Tall Cakes

Baking By SarahGill Updated 29 Jul 2017 , 7:44pm by kakeladi

SarahGill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahGill Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 9

Hi fellow bakers! 

I'm making a 2 tier cake for my daughter, it will be covered in fondant with a quilt design on the bottom tier and just a few flowers on the top tier, with a name plaque. It will also have a crown came topper. 

I haven't baked a cake to this scale before and I'm busy with two young girls as well, so I've decided to cut down my work a little by using cake mixes. 

I want to bake the cakes so they are quite tall so I'm going for a four layered cake (maybe). I'm using a 9" and a 7" pan. My question is, how much cake mix do I need? I don't want to extend the recipes, I want to keep it as simple as possible. The box says it's for a 2 layer 8" cake, so I'm guessing for four layers of a 9 in cake, I need four boxes? (1 box per layer) and for the 7" I could get 2 boxes? (1 box for 2 layers)? 

I hope that's not confusing and someone could help me out please? 

Thanks  x

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 9

It depends on how deep your pans are.  You should be able to make one layer in the 9"(by 2" deep pan) plus maybe 1/2 enough batter leftover for the 7" pan using one batch of this recipe:   http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe  Repeat that 2 or 3 times for a nice tall cake.  If your pans are only 1 or 1&1/2" deep than you will have enough for one layer of each size pan from one batchs.  Fill each pan 3/4 full - which = 1 & 1/2" batter in a pan 2" deep.  I've been known to use a ruler to actually measure the amount of batter when I 1st started baking :)     

jmcooley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcooley Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 12:10am
post #3 of 9

For 2 in high cake layers, 3 boxes should be enough. 1 box would be enough for the 2 - 7inches and the other 2 boxes would take cake of the 2 - 9inches

jmcooley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcooley Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 12:14am
post #4 of 9

Sorry I just reread the original post and realized you are doing four layers so that would be six boxes. You could maybe do 5 boxes but I would plan for 6 just to be safe.

SarahGill Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 9

Thank so guys, my pans are 9x2 and 7x3 inches. 

I'm going to bake them one layer at a time I think rather than torting. Not sure what isn't best. 

SarahGill Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 9

I'm doing 4 layers in each tier, so do you think I should get two boxes for the 7 in one? 

kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 9

If you use the WASC recipe one box for 3 layers of 7" cake would fit nicely.  You will need to put every 2 layers on a cake board so you can take it apart to cut.  A cake 8" tall will not fit on a dessert plate. 

SarahGill Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for that kakeladi, this is going to sound so stupid but do you know how many grams in one cup? 

Thanks x

kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 9

No I don't.  Maybe you will need to google "grams to cup"........I know there are charts on the web - I've seen them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%