Wedding Cake!

Decorating By CupcakeLissa Updated 30 Jul 2017 , 10:39pm by gscout73

CupcakeLissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeLissa Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 17

Help please. I've found a cake design is like for my wedding but unsure how to make it. Also it looks like buttercream, ideally I'd want to use royal icing or fondant so that i can decorate a week before the wedding as oppose to the day before! I'm getting my florist to sort the flowers so just need advice on how to achieve this effect with a different icing to buttercream :) thanks in advance x Wedding Cake!

16 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 17

The cake is definitely iced on butter cream. You're not going to get that effect with fondant,and royal dries hard as a rock. You could do the cake a week before and freeze it; do a quick search on here on freezing cakes. 

ypierce82 Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 17

* in buttercream 

ypierce82 Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 17

You'll want to wait to stack it (and add the flowers) since it looks like it is raised and the flowers go underneath, until the day of. 

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 17

If you really only want to do a fondant cake, why don't you search "fondant ruffle cake"  where you will get a zillion or so results.  You can make the ruffles straighter or curvier as you'd like.  This is the first image (NOT MINE) that popped up when I did a quick search for you.

Best,

Theresa

Image result for fondant ruffle cake

CupcakeLissa Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks for your response Ypierce82 :) 

Theresa, chill out.  Just asking for advice from bakers not an internet search engines image archive. I appreciate your screenshot but alas, I can do that myself. I was seeking more 'this is how you achieve this look' type of advice. 

Kind regards. 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 17

Theresa was trying to give you some decent advice.  She was trying to suggest a look you could achieve with fondant that might be somewhat similar to the buttercream cake you posted since you chose a buttercream cake but don't want to do it in buttercream.  Not sure why you felt the need to get pissy.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 17

Wow! Good luck.

And thanks Freckles!

CupcakeLissa Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 17

Just to clarify, I was seeking advice on how to actually achieve this effect and was unsure what icing method to use. Choosing when to respond is the lesson to be learnt here. If all you are going to do is point people in the direction of Google then it's not exactly helpful. And really, caps lock? Cranky much? I don't think that someone can say I was being 'pissy' when really I was just stating the obvious.

Freckles0829 Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 17

Caps lock?  I didn't use caps lock, so you may want to take another look.

You can't tell people how to respond to your posts.  Theresa was trying to be helpful.  If you don't like her suggestion then just keep scrolling.  But responding to her by saying to "chill out" is just downright rude when all she was trying to do was to offer you a suggestion.

Honestly, I would just make time the Thursday before your wedding to layer and frost your cake and then keep it refrigerated until the day of.  It isn't that involved and shouldn't take you a ton of time, especially since the primary decoration is being taken care of by your florist.  So block out 2 hours or so on Thursday (make your buttercream Wednesday evening) to frost your cake.  If time is so tight, then maybe you should have thought about hiring someone to make your cake for you.

And yes, you are being pissy.

Freckles0829 Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 17

Oh and you achieve this look by using buttercream.  There, question answered.

CupcakeLissa Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 17

Just so you know I wasn't referring to you about the Caps lock, I was on about Theresas original message. 

Thanks for the advice though.

I have plenty of time to make my own wedding cake hence why I was seeking advice. Didn't want to do buttercream as it's quite faffy and harder to transport in hot weather. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 17

Wowee - I was actually going to tell you how easy I is to get that look and how to do it aswell as how to freeze it and defrost but seriously you don't deserve the help.

Don't be so lazy, google can easily bring up plenty of tutorials where you will find all the information you need and then some.

CupcakeLissa Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 5:42am
post #14 of 17

Quote by @bubs1stbirthday on 6 hours ago

Wowee - I was actually going to tell you how easy I is to get that look and how to do it aswell as how to freeze it and defrost but seriously you don't deserve the help.

Don't be so lazy, google can easily bring up plenty of tutorials where you will find all the information you need and then some.

Seriously? Again, why even respond? If you read back you will see that I was actually asking advice on whether this could be achieved, how etc etc I came to this forum to seek advice from bakers who have actually done this. I got a response which basically told me to go and Google it and it felt very much like they didn't have the time for my question, which is fine, there's no need to respond. But now you are continuing this thread by responding with "I can help but I wont" am I supposed to be offended that you won't help me? It seems unnecessary to reply if you are just here to provoke people. 

As I said earlier, thank you to those who have advised it will come in helpful in the future. 

skyjumpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skyjumpr Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 17

Rereading your original post and it seems to me Theresa gave you the best answer to your question.  Perhaps you should thank her.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2017 , 4:05pm
post #16 of 17

Quote by @CupcakeLissa on 21 hours ago

Just to clarify, I was seeking advice on how to actually achieve this effect and was unsure what icing method to use. Choosing when to respond is the lesson to be learnt here. 

cupcakelissa, brilliant point and i wholeheartedly agree with you -- when asking experts for advice avoid critiquing the answers that you think don't apply --

thank you, theresa, for answering a bride-to-be's question with your cake wisdom

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 Jul 2017 , 10:39pm
post #17 of 17

The only way I can think of to use fondant and come slightly close would be to roll out fondant and tear pieces off and adhere to the sides of an iced cake. This would give you jagged edges. You would need a layer of icing to have the fondant stick. Or, crumb coat and lightly brush piping gel, then apply the fondant. But to get that exact look, your looking at what I consider a sloppy application of butter cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%