High Definition Cake Batter For Detailed Pans?

Baking By katebee Updated 23 Jul 2017 , 9:08pm by -K8memphis

katebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katebee Posted 22 Jul 2017 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 8

I have several nordicware and silicone  pans that are heavily detailed (like this bite-sized tea cake pan) and cannot come up with a cake formula that bakes up in a way that shows those nice details.  WASC, Kentucky Butter Cake, cream cheese pound cake, various tea cake recipes I've tried-- all result in cakes that either stick to the pan's details, or the details are blurred beyond recognition as a function of the batter rising.  Does anyone have an "HD" cake batter recipe, or hack with a cake mix that will work for heavily detailed pans? High Definition Cake Batter For Detailed Pans?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 8

i had a whole reply typed out that at&t lost for me/us -- le sigh -- but anyway --

so i think it's how you grease the pans -- for the cake in my photos, i think it's still in there -- i painted the melted grease in there very very carefully then sifted in the flour and banged out the excess flour upside down in the sink -- makes a mess ha!

because i love to do these cakes like the train cake with just a glaze not even icing because then you do lose the definition that way too -- i think these cakes are little works of metal art -- and need very little else -- just a tad of well controlled nicely edited decor --

and i bake at 350 degrees in the u.s. -- and these cakes need to be well baked off -- nothing namby pamby so they crisp up good right -- i would never use wasc for this because i use self rising flour and it's the wrong thing for these imo -- i use a cold oven pound cake -- the one with a cup of cream -- i'll post the link 

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 8

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/cold-oven-poundcake-recipe-2065356

this is a very old recipe and trisha has it nicely documented and easy to find -- you can use cake flour too for a different finer crumb --or half & half for the best of both worlds -- make sure you aerate the all purpose flour -- is aerate the right word -- y'know -- whisk the flour before you measure it so it's all fluffed up not packed down --

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 8

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3357271/naked-wedding-cake

here's me little cakelette -- well defined

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 8

@-K8memphis ‍, your cake is beautiful!  Like you, I apply shortening with a pastry brush to be sure I get into all crevices, then dust with flower.  I do not have mini pans, but my detailed bundt pans always come out crisp and nice using any number of different pound cake recipes.  High Definition Cake Batter For Detailed Pans? 

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 8

thank you sandra blush it's what the hands and the nervous system will allow at this point -- for my neighbor

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 8

@-K8memphis ‍, my hands are terribly twisted and knotted with arthritis, which is my excuse for not being able to pipe.  It's not the reason, of course, it's really because I CANNOT PIPE!  Oddly enough, though, I have no trouble at all doing models or sugar flowers.  I really admire anyone who can pipe because it is such a skill!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 8

i love to pipe -- love love love love love lovelovelovelovelovelovelove love -- i really don't have much of any of my work online -- 

my hands are twisting as i type but their crowning glory is to blow up like hot air balloons if i overdo it -- humph stuck_out_tongue

yeah that little cake was too easy-- smeared some doodoo in a mold for lace, baked a cake -- done -- humph again

ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%