How Much Would You Charge?

Business By trackaddict4 Updated 24 Jul 2017 , 11:55pm by youngj

trackaddict4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trackaddict4 Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 7

How much would you charge for this cake?  I made this for my sister's wedding last weekend, so of course I did it free of charge as a wedding gift to her.  Since then, I have had a lot of inquires about me making wedding cakes but people are telling me I charge too much.  This is a 10", 8", 6" cake and I would normally charge $250 for it.

How Much Would You Charge?

6 replies
katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 7

Where do you live? I would think anything in the $200-250 range would be totally fair, if not should be MORE, depending on location. I think my mom said she paid around $180-200 for a two tier similar to this a few years ago for her remarriage (she's from AZ, not some more expensive place like NY or San Francisco). 

trackaddict4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trackaddict4 Posted 22 Jul 2017 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 7

I live in Utah.  It just surprises me how many people have told me they are going with a cheaper option.  

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 22 Jul 2017 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 7

$280 plus the cost of the fresh flowers, if they aren't providing them. Some people are always looking for a "better"deal. It's frustrating for sure, but those people aren't your customers. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jul 2017 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 7

yeah, y'know how the littlest little bit of body damage on a car costs a small fortune, hundreds of dollars -- y'know some things just cost more than the average person realizes -- you're fine with those prices -- even higher as has been said already -- and ditto on the additional charge for the flowers as well -- 

sweet cake btw --

katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 12:13am
post #6 of 7

Quote by @trackaddict4 on 5 hours ago

I live in Utah.  It just surprises me how many people have told me they are going with a cheaper option.  

I got married in Utah.:)

Yeah - that's a totally reasonable price, even for a lower cost of living place like Utah.  People that think that is way too much have never made or put together a cake like this before. Let them shop elsewhere! 

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 7

$250 is a very reasonable price. Extra for fresh flowers, if not provided. A lot of people just want it for a cheaper price because your either a friend, or extended family. 

Agree with katy.. people who have never made cakes or decorated and transported them don't know what goes into the cake. Plus you need to get paid for your time. 

I live in Kansas city and wedding prices around here are $3 to $5 a serving. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%