Un-Freezing A Cake

Baking By youngj Updated 1 Aug 2017 , 2:04am by bubs1stbirthday

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 8

So I baked off some cakes and froze them now I am ready to use them, do I put them in the fridge then pull them out of the fridge when I am ready to ice it or do I let it dethaw on the counter?

Thanks for your help

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 8

I prefer to thaw in the frig overnight - especially the larger cakes but it can be done either way as long as they have been properly well wrapped. 

kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 8

Oh, just for information - when one ends up with a double or triple post all you have to do is open one of them and click on 'action' then  'delete'.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 8

I put them on the counter (wrapped) and let thaw to room temp. Buttercream will get sticky and difficult if you try to put it on a cold cake. If covering in fondant... I don't know.

kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 8

Cakes that are iced in b'cream, then wrapped & fzn should not be thawed wrapped.  As Jenn123 said, the icing will become sticky and you will have a mess on your hands.  Thaw in the frig several hours (depending on the size of the cake) UNwrapped.  Then remove to the counter to come to room temp.   Fondant covered cakes should thaw in the friz but they should be in a cake box.  One does not want to touch a fondant cake that is/has thawed as long as there is any condensation noticed.  Having it boxed should prevent that but sometimes we don't wait long enough and try to take it out of the box too soon :) 

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 8

I believe youngj is talking about thawing plain cake layers that haven't been iced or covered in any way. I don't think they need to be thawed in the fridge unless they are a special recipe that requires refrigeration.

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 8

I thaw my unfrosted cakes on the counter at room temp. My book on frozen foods says all baked goods should be thawed still wrapped on the counter. If frosted or fondanted, I have no clue, I don't freeze it that way.  

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 1 Aug 2017 , 2:04am
post #8 of 8

I pull mine out and sit them on the bench to defrost, to freeze them I wrap in 3 layers of gladwrap.

When they are partially defrosted I unwrap them and measure, level and torte them. Once they are torted I rewrap each layer loosely in one layer of gladwrap (I get 2 layers from each cake), scraps go in the third layer of glad wrap that I unwrapped them from. At this point I lay them out singularly so

Usually by the time I am done levelling and torting they will be defrosted enough to start filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%