Mirror Glaze (Glacage) Trouble Shooting

Decorating By Katorr Updated 18 Jul 2017 , 5:42pm by Katorr

Katorr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katorr Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 5

Hello and HELP!

I tried practicing the mirror glaze technique for a 40th wedding anniversary cake and I am so glad I did - it was a disaster! Hoping someone with more experience can help me out! I tried searching the forums but didn't find the answer to my questions.

I made an entremet/mousse cake as suggested (cake, layered with mousse and jelly filling, enveloped in mousse). I froze the cake as in the instructions. Here are my questions/problems I encountered:

1. Do you have to freeze the cake? It seemed to set the glaze as I poured it over the frozen mousse... instead of smooth finish, it set up and hardened into drips all down the sides.

2. I left it to set, as instructed, should that have been in the fridge? I didn't immediately refrigerate it and the glaze fell off the sides of the cakes in big sections. I wonder if as the mousse warmed up it created condensation?

3. My mousse didn't seem to hold up to the weight of the glaze... the glaze seemed to pull the mousse off the top and over the sides of the cake. Any tips for a firmer/sturdier mousse? Tricks to avoid this?

4. Any experience with the right temperature to pour the glaze? Instructions I found ranged from 90 - 94/95 degrees. I had two separate colours - one 90 degrees the other 94 degrees - seemed like higher poured better but those sections are the ones that pelled off the cake the most.

Any help at all would be great... I am stumped.

4 replies
JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 5

My first question is how generously did you pour the glaze?  Like, did you let it just sort of dribble out of the container or did you POUR?  And how much glaze did you have?  The first time I tried it, I made four cups worth, to be safe, and basically, most of that four cups ended up in the sheet pan, but what stayed on the cake looked really cool. Not perfect, but it was my first attempt and I was quite pleased.  

Second question, which recipe did you use?  One with condensed milk or one with heavy cream?  Not that I know how that might affect the outcome, tbh, but it might come up for the more experienced bakers.

Katorr Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 5

I used the recipe with condensed milk.

I thought I was pouring TONS - but I did have about 1/2 leftover. I tested in on a small version of the cake so I expected to have extra, but maybe not that much? I thought about pouring more... but as I said it was creating big drips down the side of the cake and I felt like I would just add to the problem with more glaze. Wish I had taken a pic to show you all... Think of those cakes with the chocolate drips down the side on purpose... it was creating that kind of effect. The drips were big globular bumps all down one side.

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 5

Half of how much?  How much glaze got on the cake?

Katorr Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 5

I had about 3.5 cups to start - had little less than half left over. But was testing on a small 6 inch round cake, one layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%