Banana Bread/ Cake Difference And Pricing Question

Baking By aldonza Updated 17 Jul 2017 , 11:22pm by emccle06

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 3:04am
post #1 of 4

My client loved my carrot cake so much and asked if I can make a banana cake or banana bread. I told her I have an excellent banana bread recipe. How would you price that considering it is a loaf and it doesn't need frosting or decorating? Should I do cost of ingredients and time? What would you charge?

I've never made banana cake but I have a humming bird cake recipe that I'm sure I can modify to banana....unless ya'll have an awesome recipe that you would like to share.

Would you make a cake or a bread?

Thanks

3 replies
caketownathens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketownathens Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 8:04am
post #2 of 4

Hi @Aldonza

I'd say bake what you're most comfortable with - since you love your banana bread recipe, just ask your client if they're fine with that or prefer a normal frosted cake. 

Have you tried baking the banana bread as a normal cake? 

I use Yolanda Gampp's (from how to cake it) recipe and it always turns out fantastic, especially with the addition of chocolate chips. It's very moist yet sturdy enough to slice and stack as a layer cake (and divine when filled with chocolate ganache), and the recipe doesn't really stray much from the average banana bread recipe. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 4

I also have been wondering about pricing quick breads.  I will be making many, many different mini ones for a Christmas Boutique.  Anyone have any idea how to price them?   I know it matters much where people live etc etc but there must be a general 'rule of thumb' :)

emccle06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle06 Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 4

A banana cake is typically sweeter than banana bread. You can check with the customer to see which she prefers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%