Teal Icing Turns Green/mint

Decorating By RionaBakes Updated 15 Jul 2017 , 6:02am by RionaBakes

RionaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RionaBakes Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 1:31am
post #1 of 3

Just signed up today because I am having this issue where my teal icing loses its blue and goes mint green. This also happens with purple, the blue fades and I'm left with a red purple icing instead of a true purple. 

So I had sky blue wilton gel and lemon yellow, which I used to make teal. Iced the cake, decorating now. And my cake after a few hours is mint green - not the teal I started with. I just ran out and bought straight teal gel and lo! definitely does not match the teal-turned-mint of my cake. 

How do I fix this? Will the teal gel cure into a mint also? Or do I just need to add a bit of yellow to make it match the now-mint cake? 

2 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 2:50am
post #2 of 3

How long did you let your icing sit before using it? I make my icing 3 days in advance to give it time to rest. I've noticed with Wilton colors, they are notorious for fading. Americolor is a good line, and they make a true teal. I would add the yellow and make it match what you have since you don't have time to scrap it. 

RionaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RionaBakes Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 6:02am
post #3 of 3

Okay, thank you. I've only noticed the blues fading, never warm colors. Maybe I'll get all my blues from Americolor. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%