How Do I Properly Freeze A Cake?

Baking By saravelazquez Updated 14 Jul 2017 , 5:21pm by katy_cakes

saravelazquez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saravelazquez Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone! I recently got into baking as a hobby and I was wondering how do you guys go about prepping, freezing and frosting cakes for future use.

Do you guys recommend a dry crumb frost before you wrap up and freeze the cake? Or is it better just to wrap up the cake as soon as it's cool and put into your freezer. When defrosting I saw that  it was recommended for wrapped cake to be thawed in the fridge. 

Also would this technique work with pies and tarts? 

How long is frozen cake good for? A couple weeks?

My biggest fear is freezer burn.

sorry for all the questions 

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 3

When you take a cake out of the oven, place it on a rack to cool for about 10 minutes, turn it out of the pan, making sure the top is level 1st (if not level, run a knife around the cake using the pan edges to keep it level), and let it cool another 10 minutes or so.  Then wrap it in plastic wrap &/or pop it into a plastic bag.  If you have used plastic wrap, add a layer of foil (but never in foil alone).  Now it can be fzn up to 6 months - maybe even a year:)  (Ever hear of people keeping layer of their wedding cake to serve on their 1st anniversary?)  If you want to you can cool the cake completely, fill, crumb coat and finish icing it.  If so, then place the UNwrapped cake in the fzr for about 30-60 minutes then wrap in plastic well.  When you place the cake in the fzr make sure it is sitting flat -  put it on a cake board or cookie sheet until it is fzn hard.  Once fzn solid it can be place into a cake box if you want.   I have kept 1,000s of cake like this w/o fzr burn :)    When ready to defrost, remove it to the frig overnight (or similar amount of time), then to the counter.  If it is finished iced, unwrap from foil/plastic right away,  if in a cake box leave it there - and if you observe any sweating do not touch it.  This will evaporate on it own.     As for this fzing working w/pies & tarts, it most likely would depend on what the pie is.  Many fruit pies probably won't survive fzing.  I haven't done many pies so maybe others will step in here & give more info on those.

katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 3

I love freezing cakes! It can help the cake be more moist AND it something that allows you to make the cake in advance of decorating. Win/win. I love that I can bake one day and frost a different day to break up the time (instead of doing it all in one long day).   I've tried different methods and haven't experience wildly different results, but mostly I bake, cool completely, then wrap the layers in either Press n Seal or regular plastic wrap - two layers of wrap. Then wrap in foil or put in a large ziplock freezer bag. I had a single layer of cake that I never got around to using and it must have been frozen for at least a month - took it out to see how it would fare and it seemed great. No freezer burn, taste and texture was great. I personally don't plan to freeze cakes weeks ahead of time for cakes I make for other people (I'll usually bake and freeze about two days in advance) but nice to know I can have cake layers at the ready if I ever need them for something last minute (or a quick after dinner dessert if the mood strikes:) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%