Dad's 70Th Birthday - Need Help!

Decorating By dmillross Updated 14 Jul 2017 , 3:38pm by remnant3333

dmillross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmillross Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone- first and foremost I appreciate your help!

My dad is turning 70 this year and we are planning a surprise birthday party!

My Dad doesn't really have a main hobby that I can base his cake on, however, there are many different things he likes/does that I'd like to incorporate....

Accordian (music notes), Dad's taxi, a dog, mr fix it, math teacher, computer, etc. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to put this all into a cake idea? Or do you know of any pictures of cakes that have a similar idea?

THANKS!:)

8 replies
caketownathens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketownathens Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 9

Hi @dmillross ‍ 

Whoa that's a lot to put together on a single cake! 

How many people will the cake serve? Multiple tiers could solve the problem - dedicate each tier to one or two things on your list to keep it from looking too busy.

For instance, I would make a taxi or dog cake topper, and use the same color scheme to design the rest of the details (music notes, math equations, possibly a mouse etc) to keep it looking uniform and concise.

Or, you could make your cake in the shape of the number 70 (especially if you're serving few people) and just go all out and decorate it with all those details that have significance for your dad. 

I'm sure the cake will turn out great - happy 70th birthday to your dad!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 9

Maybe do a tool box w/fondant or chocolate molded tools -- I used a candy mold for the tools.  Birthday Cake For Hubby on Cake Central The tool box could be graham crackers or gumpaste/fondant.      For the taxi maybe a toy car?  A dog isn't that hard to mold from fondant.  If you need to see how find a book in the library on fimo/clay work. That would be plenty of decorations.   You don't want to overload it w/too much.

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 9

Check out edible sugar decorations on Etsy (etsy.com)

There's always someone on their with specific decorations that are edible or faux. Then go to Icing Images or Evil Cake Genius & you can get a music icing sheet or stencil from evil & do a tier side in musical notes.

Good luck hope it helps

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 9

i love "this is your life" cakes -- i'd do a topsy turvy cake and just place all the different items i'd made all over the cake -- too much fun -- could be done on any cake  -- just watch your proportions so the vignettes are compatible in size -- it doesn't have to look cake-decorator-intelligently-themed-perfect -- this is a cake that goes right to the heart -- it's particularly poignant to the recipient, friends and family but not necessarily the decorator --

do it all -- go for it thumbsup

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 9

duh, except for it being your dad of course -- but i've done these for my grown kids with only items i would know being their mom and they are priceless and very appreciated

Muntic0re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muntic0re Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 7:58am
post #7 of 9

You can make a cab cake. When my dad turned 60 we made for him a surprise party too. We have found a great place near his favourite Taupo lake here alexandrapark.co.nz (it's in New Zealand). As he likes fishing we ordered a cake in a fish form, something like this one. He almost cried of happiness :)

Muntic0re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muntic0re Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 8:24am
post #8 of 9

here is the cake 

Dad's 70Th Birthday - Need Help!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 9

Great job on the fish!!! I am sure your dad was very surprised!!! I love the fish!!! Awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%