Allergen Friendly (Paleo) Cake And Filling For A 2Yo To Cover In Fondant

Baking By nixm Updated 15 Jul 2017 , 5:06am by CakeBren

nixm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nixm Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 5

My daughter is turning 2 next month and I have I'm looking for recipes and fillings for her cake. She's very sensitive to foods which is making this task quite difficult especially since she doesn't like chocolate! She pretty much eats a paleo diet so no dairy or grains or any preservatives, colorings etc.

I've found a decent coconut flour vanilla cake recipe (https://elanaspantry.com/paleo-vanilla-birthday-cake/) that seems stable enough for fondant and a palm shortening and coconut oil buttercream recipe (https://www.glutenfreegigi.com/dairy-free-buttercream-frosting/) that tastes good. Thing is both is vanilla so it's extremely boring. I want to serve the same cake to her as our guests so I need to jazz it up a bit. Thinking of either doing some or other fruit filling or fruit in the cake? I'm pretty new to fondant (made a successful gf layered cake with strawberry ganache last year but thats about it, this was before we knew of all her sensitivities) so I'm not entirely sure what to change. I was thinking if I can get a cake recipe with some fruit in (probably blueberry, raspberry or strawberry) it would be easiest cause then I can just use the vanilla frosting. Otherwise can I maybe sub the milk in the frosting recipe with a pureed fruit syrup (cooked from scratch) to make a flavored frosting? Will this be fine under the fondant though? I'm not sure about fresh fruits cause atm they're not very sweet so I'm not sure how it will go with the cake and frosting. I'm using store bought fondant and will just remove it before she eats the cake. 

I'm in South Africa and it's winter here so that helps a lot as I don't need to worry about warm weather. I also think it might be fine to leave a fruit/cooked fruit filling out overnight as our house is 60F at most. I will be making the cake next Friday and party will be Saturday at 10am. 

Thanks in advance!! Really hope someone can help.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 5

i do not know blush but the coconut flour has a definite flavor that will come through over the vanilla -- in fact i would use the coconut flour with another starch and/or acceptable grain like sorghum flour or something -- i would try some date sugar in there too -- banana, date sugar and cinnamon is a wonderful flavor combo for the cake -- then the vanilla icing maybe with the vanilla bean flecks -- 

that's quite an exact and unique recipe you're looking for -- i know that my ingredients in the u.s. differ from yours in south africa -- so i don't know how to be more detailed -- maybe someone in your area will chime in -- hope you find something great!

Cakemum1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemum1 Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 5

Quote by @-K8memphis on 40 minutes ago

i do not know blush but the coconut flour has a definite flavor that will come through over the vanilla -- in fact i would use the coconut flour with another starch and/or acceptable grain like sorghum flour or something -- i would try some date sugar in there too -- banana, date sugar and cinnamon is a wonderful flavor combo for the cake -- then the vanilla icing maybe with the vanilla bean flecks -- 

that's quite an exact and unique recipe you're looking for -- i know that my ingredients in the u.s. differ from yours in south africa -- so i don't know how to be more detailed -- maybe someone in your area will chime in -- hope you find something great!

True

CakeBren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBren Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 4:46am
post #4 of 5

Danielle Walker of Against All Grain tends to have some pretty decent recipes.  Here is one she has for Strawberry Cupcakes.  I've never made the recipe, but you might be able to make a cake rather than the cupcakes.  http://againstallgrain.com/2012/08/27/strawberry-shortcake-cupcakes/

CakeBren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBren Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 5:06am
post #5 of 5

OOPS... looks like an update I tried to make to my post didn't take, so just adding another.

Here's another recipe that I found:  http://paleomg.com/simple-blueberry-lemon-birthday-cake/

paleOMG is pretty well known in the Paleo community, but like the other recipe, I haven't tried this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%