Help- Strawberry Cake Ratio Fix !!

Baking By ellimak13 Updated 11 Jul 2017 , 12:37pm by Rosemary7391

ellimak13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellimak13 Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 1:20am
post #1 of 7

Hello all, 

So I have this awesome vanilla cake recipe that I love and I thought if I added pureed fresh strawberries it would become strawberry cake. I found that the cake was actually a completely different consistency than expected. What do you guys recommend I do ? I usually add 110grams of buttermilk to my vanilla cake recipe.. should I scale it back a little for a order I have coming up? Or should I just dice fresh strawberries and add them to the vanilla cake recipe?(not sure if it would still be classified as strawberry cake).

Thank you in advance !

6 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 3:07am
post #2 of 7

Scale back on the liquid. Strawberries release water when cooked, so that adds additional moisture to the cake, changes the texture, and sometimes the rise. Once I cut down liquid, I didn't have any more problems. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 3:34am
post #3 of 7

When I make strawberry cake, I substitute pureed strawberries for half the liquid in the recipe and it works beautifully.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 7

I make by strawberry cake (one of my most requested) using my white cake as the base.  

I start with 10 ounces of frozen strawberries.  Place them in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for five minutes.  I then purée them with an immersion blender.  

Back to the microwave  on high for two minutes at a time, stirring well after each.  I cook them down until a thick paste is formed.  

Cool to room temperature the fold into the white batter.

I add a couple drops of red food color to brighten the color.

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 1:44am
post #5 of 7

I do the same but with fresh strawberries.  I puree about a pound of them, then cook until it condenses to @ 1/2 (8 oz).  I then use that for half of the liquid in my vanilla cake recipe.  I've found that straight puree (without condensing)  doesn't  give the cake nearly enough strawberry flavor.  Another way I make it is to ground freeze dried strawberries into a powder and add 28 grams to a batch of vanilla batter.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 7

Try frozen some times ...I use 10 ounce per recipe.  While fresh berries work, they are usually picked before fully ripened...while they will ripen after being picked, they won't get any sweeter or better flavored.  Frozen berries are picked when fully ripened then frozen quickly and have more flavor.

Rosemary7391 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosemary7391 Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 7

The buttermilk might not just be for liquid in the recipe. It's acidic, so could be part of what causes the cake to rise (in combination with other ingredients like bicarbonate of soda), depending on the recipe. Fruit is also slightly acidic so this might still be okay; I think strawberries are still pretty acidic. This is a long winded way of saying you're probably okay with strawberries!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%