Suggestions

Decorating By welder Updated 9 Jul 2017 , 8:56pm by kakeladi

welder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
welder Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 3:03am
post #1 of 5

Need to make a small beachball to be placed on top of a cake. Also need to make a baseball cap and use for a topper on a 6".  Suggestions on what to make them out of?  As you can tell, I'm no professional but willing to learn and try anything. Thanks for any suggestions. 

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 3:29am
post #2 of 5

Since there is not a lot of room on top of a 6" cake, I think I would make a mixture like cake pops (crumbled cake with enough frosting mixed in to make it stick together) for both pieces or you can use Rick Krispy Treats.  For the beachball, shape the cake pop mixture or RKT's ino a ball and cover with fondant.  For the baseball cap, for a half round, cover with fondant and make the bill with fondant.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 10:22am
post #3 of 5

Have made both out of Rice Krispie treats and it worked well.  I did cover the RKT with melted chocolate before covering with fondant. That helped me get a smoother finish.  Just an idea to try.  Good luck!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 5

Like @cutiger ‍, I cover both cake pops and RKT structures with melted chocolate for stability and smoothness.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 5

The mini 1/2 ball pan makes a great ball of cake.   I don't know how available that pan still is - it's an older Wilton pan - might be found on ebay.  I've made hats and Christmas ornaments w/it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%