Grey Marble And Decorations

Baking By pamcakesandcompany Updated 10 Jul 2017 , 3:37pm by dojobarbie

pamcakesandcompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamcakesandcompany Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 18

Can any one tell me How to get this grey marble color fondant?

Also Does any one know where I can get the molds to make the decorations 

Any one know what color the decorations are?

Thanks for any help

Pam

17 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 18

There is no pic for us to see.   To make marbled colored fondant just put dots of  paste color in the fondant and twist it 3 or 4 times. Sort of like pulling taffy.....twist and pull, fold it in 1/2 and repeat.   Any more than that & you will loose the marbling effect.

pamcakesandcompany Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 18

thanks for your help

Can you see the photo now?Grey Marble And Decorations

kakeladi Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 18

O.k.......that amount of marbling would take more than 3 or 4 twist/turn/pulls :)  Just do it until you think it looks right.  Have no idea about the mold used for the leaves & flowers. Actually it looks to me like some jewlery finds I used many years ago.  The color is gold.  Probably painted or sprayed/airbrushed after molding fondant or gumpaste.

pamcakesandcompany Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks so much for the reply.

Is it safe to put jewelry into cakes?

Are you using white and grey fondant ?

Or white with a bit of black?

Thanks 

Pam

kakeladi Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 18

No, I didn't put the jewelry on the cake.  They were shallow 'molds' that I put fondant into.  Here's one of the cakes I made using those 'findings' to mold cupids etc.   http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1330244/frolicing-cupids    As I replied in the other, thread, use white w/a bit of black fondant for the marbling.

pamcakesandcompany Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 2:04am
post #7 of 18

Wow that is some piece of art.

So much work

I can not imagine the time it took you.

Beautiful

Thanks for sharing

Best,

Pam

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 2:52am
post #8 of 18

This is such a pale marble, I think I would make two or three small batches of gray fondant, from very pale to a medium tone, then mix the gray batches with the white fondant.  I roll my fondant out into ropes, lay all colors side by side, twist and start folding, stretching and folding again.  You can tell when your colors have intergrated.

The flowers and leaves on the cake on the right appear to me to be made freehand of fondant or gum paste and detailed with a dresden tool, then painted gold.

pamcakesandcompany Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 18

Thank You Sandra

I agree. I was not seeing black but more grey and white.

Just wish I new how to do the flowers

Not sure what molds to get to do the flowers and leaves

best

pam

kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 18

Yeah, Sandra is right.  I didn't think of doing it that way but probably is a better way to get that look.

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 12:03am
post #11 of 18

@pamcakesandcompany ‍, which flowers are you wanting to make, the one on the right or the one on the left?

pamcakesandcompany Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 1:00am
post #12 of 18

All the decorations.

I need to find molds.

Thanks

Pam

I have to duplicate the cake.

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 3:17am
post #13 of 18

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050B1JR2/ref=asc_df_B0050B1JR25066486/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0050B1JR2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167140474467&hvpos=1o23&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15103151986184202257&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026099&hvtargid=pla-306079355885

Here is a Wilton mold on Amazon that has two or three size leaf molds and two or three simple flowers similar to the ones on the cake on the right.  They will not be identical because I am pretty sure the ones pictured are handmade decorations, but they are very similar and you could certainly deplicate the look using his mold.  This Wilton mold is very popular and sold at Michael's and even sometimes Walmart or just order from Amazon.  You can watch YouTube videos to learn how to insert wires into your leaves, how to wrap the wires with floral tape and how to wire them together to make the branch decorating the top of the cake.

If you want to make the ones on the left, that is a whole other technique and the roses and leaves are not made in a mold, but constructed petal by petal from gum paste.

pamcakesandcompany Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 3:34am
post #14 of 18

THANKS AGAIN, for all your great input.

Is it hard to make the petals my hand?? Lots of practice??

Thanks

Pam

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 3:42am
post #15 of 18

No it is not hard, but it does take a lot of practice and if this is your first try, you are going to be very frustrated.  The are tons of videos on YouTube showing you how to make roses.  Here is the one that started me on the way to making roses.  I think there are two or three parts, this is the first and it will take you to the next ones.

dojobarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dojobarbie Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 12:21pm
post #16 of 18

@SandraSmiley  I was thinking of getting that mold. Do you know if it works for candy clay/modeling chocolate? 

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 3:07pm
post #17 of 18

Yes, modeling chocolate works beautifully in molds.  I don't have this particular mold, but do have another Wilton mold that is very similar and I've used it with modeling chocolate many times.  Since modeling chocolate is so heat sensitive, I always put it in the molds, then freeze until the chocolate is really firm.  Turn out the piece quickly and set somewhere to thaw and set up a bit before using.  Just keep in mind that modeling chocolate melts easily, so it must be handled quickly and as little as possible.

dojobarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dojobarbie Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 3:37pm
post #18 of 18

Awesome, thanks Sandra! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%