Customer Wants Perfection And I'm Not Perfect.

Decorating By jordosara Updated 3 Jul 2017 , 8:58pm by kakeladi

jordosara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jordosara Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 2:20am
post #1 of 8

Customer Wants Perfection And I'm Not Perfect.

Hello!  This is my first post ever on cake central, although I read the forum and blogs daily.  I'm hoping someone can help me out.  I am an at home baker.  I have not been decorating cakes for that long.  Maybe a year.  Each time I improve but I would not say I am nearly at the level of some of my fellow bakers when it comes to neatness, mistakes etc with fondant.  2 of my friends tagged me in a post for a lady looking for a bapstism cake.  I sent her a message and advised her it would be $250.  She wants the EXACT cake but I advised her I only do round cakes at the moment so it was up to her if she wanted to proceed.  She send me the following message in response:"I don't mind paying $250 but I needs to be picture perfect perfect lines the cross has to be the same along with the bow needs to be extra perfect there can't be no line's the are messed up"

So now I have a dilemma. As I said, I have yet to produce a "perfect" cake. She has seen examples of my work and is fully aware of what I am capable of yet her response made me nervous. Could I use the $250?? yes. Is it worth be bashed on the internet if she finds a mistake ??? Nope. I though about replying to her saying: "My skill level is visible by looking at my portfolio of past cakes I completed. I can make every effort to produce a "perfect" cake but xyz....."

Is this even worth it? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

7 replies
rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 3:45am
post #2 of 8

The cake of the photo itself it not "Perfect". Nothing is. If I were you, I would dodge the bullet and not do her cake. She sounds like the type of person that will email you back saying there were all these mistakes and wanting a full refund...

Jamie_L Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamie_L Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 3:46am
post #3 of 8

am a home baker too. I wouldn't do it. I think the fact she is already making demands for perfection would make it very stressful.

I usually tell people that they can send me photos of cakes they like for inspiration but the final design is up to me. I have been in a situation too many times where what I wanted a cake to look like and what the cake was looking like were two different things. 

Some questions to ask  yourself would be:

Do you have the tools to make the cake? Do you have the cutter for the cross? A crimper for the edges?  The mold or cutters for the lettering?

Have you done these techniques before? The quilting, bow, banner, lettering?

If you decide to give it a try, I would email her and tell her that decorating cakes is a form of art and no two pieces of art are the exact same. That you will be happy to do something very similar. And encourage her to take a look at other cakes you have done. 

You may feel like you need the money now but in the end this lady sounds like she could do more harm than good. I certainly would not promise a perfect cake or an exact replica. 

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

jordosara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jordosara Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 4:23am
post #4 of 8

Thank you both!!!  She continued to send me more demands about how "perfect" it needs to be.  I messaged her that I was fully booked the weekend she was requesting.  You guys were absolutely right!  Glad I did not have to learn the hard way.

Jamie_L Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamie_L Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 11:29am
post #5 of 8

Good for you! I don't think itty would have been a good experience. Sometimes it is hard to say no. I need to work on that myself! I always just say I am booked too! Lol

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 8

I think I would stay away from that customer.  Sounds like no matter how perfect the cake is, it won't be perfect enough for her, and you'll end up losing money.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 8

Smart move, @jordosara ‍!  It made the hair stand up on the back of my neck just reading your post!  She was unreasonable from the get-go.  This sounds like the setup to get a $250 cake for $50 or free! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 8

Of definitely run, run, run like the wind from this person!  No one should demand what she is saying.  You don't say what size the cake would be but I dare way $250 is no where near what you should charge for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%