Wasc And Small Cake Mixes - Should Ingredients Change?

Baking By Cookie4 Updated 4 Jul 2017 , 11:23pm by SandraSmiley

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 11:44am
post #1 of 7

I haven't made a WASC cake in over 8 years and now that all the commecial cake mixes contain less contents I'm wondering if anyone is making modifications to the original recipe?  Either Rebecca Sutterby's or CakeLady's.  Would anyone care to enlighten me?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 7

i have read that the same amounts of ingredients work fine with the smaller mixes -- but i add enough mix to get it to the 18 ounce mark anyhow -- it's approximately one fifth of the new size cake mix added to the one current cake mix -- that works too --

it seems to me they super charged the leavening but i have no first hand knowledge of it -- 

and i always use self-rising flour

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, I have addressed this issue in several posts - including my original post of the recipe.  It's somewhere way down the line of replies :)

When the smaller mixes came on the market I would add extra dry mix from another box until one day I totally forgot that the size was smaller and just mixed it up as usual - with the same results I always expect from my recipe - perfection! :)   So you can do it either way - whichever you want ;)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 7

Sme as kakeladi, I've made them using the new size mix with no changes and the results were perfect and I've made them adding 1/2 extra cup of cake mix from another box and the results were perfect.  I guess it's just hard to mess up this recipe, haha.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you ladies for your replies.  Are you all using the original WASC recipe or the new one?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 7

i use the same one i always use but i'm retired now too -- no makie cakie no mo ha!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 7

I use the original WASC by kakeladi.  It is fabulous.

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%