Need Flavoring Advice & Pan Advice

Baking By AmateurFondant Updated 15 Jul 2017 , 7:45pm by StacieMason

AmateurFondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmateurFondant Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 1:48am
post #1 of 12

I want to get into baking & making cakes. I've always liked it but i've never really dedicated the effort into learning.

For my mom's birthday I'm planning on baking her a cake and doing some cool fondant work with some skills I learned in a class, but I'd also like to do an interesting flavor.

I've never scratch baked a cake before so I'd like some guidance on my ideas and perhaps some help in figuring out ratios.

Basic idea so far is to do an Orange spice cake (cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and maybe clove?) with a dark chocolate raspberry buttercream.

Is that too many flavors? Is it possible to do a thick enough buttercream with raspberry flavoring?

I'm also going to bake it in an 8" hemisphere pan, so any tips, tricks, or help with how that affects baking time would be a lifesaver!

I'm planning on doing a dry-run first, because I realize this is a pretty ambitious undertaking for a complete amateur so any help getting to that stage would be very welcome.

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 12

those spices need to be a super light touch to not overwhelm the orange -- i'd use orange zest that has been rubbed into some sugar so all the oils are developed -- i would do dark chocolate icing with a raspberry filling -- also i think the raspberry and the spices could all compete with the dark chocolate -- this is a very hearty flavor profile -- not saying it wouldn't work but it will be quit

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 12

...quite robust -- the post got posted before its time blush

the hemisphere pan: you can't just fill it full and expect it to bake properly -- i'd use a maximum of 2.5 inches of batter and put in a piece of folded foil so it bakes faster in the middle -- some peeps use an inverted rose nail -- then i would also bake an 8" round and plop the hemisphere on top of the 8" so you have the height you want -- 

if i can find the pics of the folded foil thing i'll post them --

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 12

but i do think i'd switch to a vanilla icing -- then you could add some choco dipped orange peel to get that chocolate pop if you have your heart set on it 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 12

i'm also not positive about the nutmeg and clove with the raspberry -- all your spices could work with the orange if handled right -- but adding the raspberry is really gonna pull all the flavors in a different direction -- might all work ok -- but if it was me, i'd go either spice or raspberry, not both with  vanilla icing on the orange cake -- dark choco dipped orange peel on the side

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 12

in fact my motto is "if a little is good a lot is better" blush especially with vanilla and cinnamon -- however i have an incredible cookie (from cookiemania, the book) that takes a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon with some orange zest -- and i'm tellin' yah it just becomes a powerful and wonderful combo in there -- but it's real hard for me to measure a quarter teaspoon of anything especially cinnamon!

another thought -- hey raspberries dotted around the bottom border interspersed between the orange peel would be beautiful -- and you've got all your flavors in there 

AmateurFondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmateurFondant Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for all of the advice, k8Memphis! Thats definitely a lot to think about.

Perhaps instead of trying to work the black berries into the buttercream I could dip some in a cinnamon dark chocolate for a border. My mother loves dipped fruits. :)

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 12

good idea --

try the chocolate dipped candied orange peel sometime -- 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 12

lemme know how it goes 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 12

You mention dipping black berries,,,,I don't think that is going to work.  As K8 said, dipped candied orange peel would.   I also agree w/her that all the spices/flavors you mention is too much so adheed her advice - cut back :)     Then you mention using an 8" sphere pan.  Do you mean 8" deep or are you talking about the 1/2 ball pan (like Wilton's soccor ball)? 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 12

yeah true about dipping the blackberries/raspberries, kl -- but you could probably get some back & forth drizzle on them -- i put it in a small parchment  piping bag with a small hole -- put the berries on some parchment -- pick them up after the chocolate drizzle sets up -- done last minute

StacieMason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacieMason Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 10:31am
post #12 of 12

Hi. I am not much aware about baking. But I will share the website from where I try delicious recipes. You can here find a variety of recipes. I hope you make a yummy cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%