Need Help With My Setup (Farmers Market

Business By karenamr95 Updated 26 Jun 2017 , 7:59pm by kakeladi

karenamr95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenamr95 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 19

So I made 142$ but my rental fee was 80$ 

I feel like I did good for it being my first farmers market but I felt like my table lacked greatly in presentation  I really want any advice & tips anything creative into what I can do to attract  customers ND make it look nicer.

My cupcakes didn't sell well I made most my money at the end I did a two for $1.00 deal.

Any tips on packaging would be great to!.

Next week I'm going to try cake parfaits hopefully do well to any idea on what to bake that don't require refrigeration would be great also ty.Need Help With My Setup (Farmers MarketNeed Help With My Setup (Farmers MarketNeed Help With My Setup (Farmers Market

18 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 19

Can you put things on different levels? I used small cardboard boxes or stack of books and covered it all in a white sheet. 

Can you have some items laid out unwrapped as it looks more appealing if it's not covered in plastic. They could be for display only. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 19

My suggestion is *elevation*!  Stagger the heighths of your products.  Simple enough to put different sized boxes under the tablecloth &/or use footed cake plates. I'm not a huge fan of your checkered tablecloth....  Maybe a solid color would be better - just my opinion :).  Also I think putting fewer things out at a time might help.

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 19

This was my stall. The man in the background is my gorgeous partner. He's a graphic designer so he did all the artwork on the boards. 

Need Help With My Setup (Farmers Market

karenamr95 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 19

Do you think the checkered table cloth takes away from the product?  I got it becuase I thought it would help me stand out 

Maybe a white table runner?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 19

I think your display looks very nice. The problem could be amount of foot traffic, competition, pricing, choice of flavors, or personality of the venue. (Psychologically, the more you have on display, the better. A full display that's not messy works best.) 

And $80 seems very high for one day at a farmers' market. Or is that a fee for multiple days?

kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 19

Interesting that we have different opinions of how much to put out on your table:)   But listen to MimiFix.......she has much more knowledge about such things then I do.  I just think seeing what louglou posted appeals to me much more :)   I also thought the $80 fee was high, but then I've never done a farmer's mkt. 

karenamr95 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 19

It's 80 for the day because it is very very busy farmers market. The amount of people is like if you go on the manhatten train on a rush.

Tons of vendors but only me , some Amish people and a place inside sells baked goods.

I think my pricing was terrible as everyone looked at my 2$ Cupcakes like they were crazy. I think if I did them agian 1$ oor 1.25 would be better

MimiFix Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 19

$1 per cupcake? Sorry, but NO! If you can't get $2, it's not worth it to make them. A price that's too low is worse than too high. It sends the message that something is wrong with your product.

I'm very familiar with central NY. I started there as a home-based baker and eventually grew my business into a bakery & cafe.

I suggest you do a lot of market research. Visit other farmers' markets and take notes. Have you been to the regional market in Syracuse? (It will be worth the trip. Multiple trips!) Everywhere you go, take lots of pictures to review later, at home. Look at the baked goods vendors, their products and prices, displays, and the way those vendors relate to the people around them.

The best predictor of success is your tenacity to learn. Good luck!

MimiFix Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 19

@kakeladi ‍, I agree that louglou's display looks beautiful. But I think more products on the table would help increase sales.

karenamr95 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 19

Yeah I'm actually going to swap cupcakes with muffins and see if they could sell better

ChefSaraKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefSaraKay Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 19

I myself am a farmers market vendor in a suburb of St Louis. This is my second business I have launched at a farmers market. The first was a cupcake business that eventually turned into a grilled cheese and cupcake food truck that I was able to sell to be able to pay for 2 years of culinary school. Now that I have graduated school and am working at a bakery full time, I am working towards owning my own business again in the future and am doing it the same way I did it before. Except this time I am doing decorated cookies as they have a higher profit than cupcakes. This being said, you really cannot base your pricing and offerings on one day at the market. If your product is of high quality and unique to the market the customers will come. It's took me a few weekends at the farmers market to get my customer base going. At first people thought my pricing was high (4 gourmet flavored cupcakes for $10) but once people tried them, they came back every week to see what flavors I had to offer. Once I grew my fan base I was selling 100-150 4 packs of cupcakes a week. And most times I would sell out before the market was closed. One thing that really helped get people to buy them was I had a domed glass cake stand filled with mini sized cupcakes of the weekly flavors and allowed each person one free sample. 9/10 times they would buy a pack. My stand set up was simple but cute. I had a gingham table cloth and chalkboard signs. I also took credit cards with Square on my phone/iPad. Lots of vendors miss out because people sometimes don't bring enough cash and if they see you take cards  that's a huge win. Seriously it's well worth the 3% fee over missing out on a sale. Also another piece of advice I feel I should offer you is to create a brand for yourself. That way people know what to expect from you each week. My customers know that every time they come to my current booth they are gonna find cute cookies. My styles may change week to week but my product offering stays consistent. Also, you can't be everything to everyone. try to pick a few things that you are really good at making and put your own spin on them. Having a large menu can really hurt your profits. And trying to change your menu every week can be confusing and frustrating to shoppers if they bought muffins from you one week and loved them and then the next week you only offered pies. Just give it some time and make a few tweaks along they way. You'll see, you can be successful st this. It just take time.

stampingchrisd_91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampingchrisd_91 Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 19

This has been my first season and it's hit or miss on what people buy. I've learned to make enough to sell but not enough where you are stuck with tons of leftovers. Here are some pics of my setup. So far sales are between $200-$500 for 6 hr day. Here are some pics of my set up.

kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 8:18pm
post #14 of 19

stampingchrisd_91 you pix didn't come through :( 

HOw very kind of stampingchrisd and ChefSaraKay to pass along their knowledge!  Such interesting tips that most of us didn't think about. 

stampingchrisd_91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampingchrisd_91 Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 1:30am
post #15 of 19

Need Help With My Setup (Farmers MarketNeed Help With My Setup (Farmers MarketNeed Help With My Setup (Farmers MarketNeed Help With My Setup (Farmers MarketNeed Help With My Setup (Farmers MarketNeed Help With My Setup (Farmers MarketNeed Help With My Setup (Farmers Market

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 1:18pm
post #16 of 19

I love the elegance of the black tablecloths. The gingham is too busy, IMHO. I can't focus on the products. It is all about highlighting the goods.

I agree that elevation helps as does "display" only domes. Seeing a cupcake on a china plate with a fork makes my mouth water (and pull out my cash...lol).

The focus need to be on a goodie I wanna buy.

Good luck! Sounds like a good start.

blingitup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blingitup Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 5:05pm
post #17 of 19

I used to have a flower and gift shop and displaying was my forte. As most mentioned, perhaps rid the checkered table cloth.  I would do a solid color, use different heights, display each item in a cake stand with packaged items in pretty baskets or boxes that are for people to take. Cupcakes look appealing with toppers. It's summer. Why not a cute topper to suit the season or upcoming 4th of July (holidays)? Check out the 'teacher's corner' at the dollar store and add some fun. Attract kids by offering eye appealing treats for them to bug their moms to buy. Cake pops and chocolate covered pretzels are cute. Offer a low, inexpensive item to give them if they purchase a certain amount i.e. $10.00 or more. Have them return week after week by doing purchase punch cards. After so many purchases of cupcakes or other item, they receive 6 cupcakes free (for example).

If helpful, google displays for ideas. I wish i could go into a farmer's market but unfortunately, time time does not allow it.

All the best. You'll do well.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 5:22pm
post #18 of 19

I am going to repeat what others have said.  Stick with a solid, neutral table cloth.  A patterned cloth takes away from the treats you are trying to sell.  Also different heights is a great way to draw your eye.  Maybe get some pretty containers/baskets to hold some of your baked goods.  Like with your cookies/muffins, get a long/low basket and elevate the back end so it sits at a angle.  By keeping things on platters or in containers it will allow you to keep your table neat without too much effort.  I also think having tasting samples is a great idea.  When I go to farmers markets I like to try out what I am wanting to buy.  When I can't taste something I am more likely to buy only one item in case I don't like it, but if I can taste it and like it then I will probably buy a lot more.

kakeladi Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 7:59pm
post #19 of 19

What a professional display!  And, as I said before to the OP, ditch the checkered/print material though stamping's isn't that bad since it's just a small amount compared to a whole table.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%