Best Product To Achieve This Gold Color On Gum Paste?

Decorating By aaabeginner Updated 2 Jul 2017 , 11:51pm by maybenot

aaabeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aaabeginner Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 13

For those of you who have achieved this gold color on gum paste decorations, what product works best? Have you used Wilton's gold luster dust with success and if so, what did you mix with?..vodka?

Best Product To Achieve This Gold Color On Gum Paste?

12 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 12:16am
post #2 of 13

My favorite is CK Imperial Gold (for decorative purposes only) mixed with vodka, but I also like Pastry Ideale Gold Dust Powder Color (also for decorative purposes only).  They both give a beautiful, rich finish, but should only be applied to decorations which can be removed before consuming.

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 12:18am
post #3 of 13

Best Product To Achieve This Gold Color On Gum Paste?This is two coats of CK Imperial Gold mixed with vodka.

aaabeginner Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 12:23am
post #4 of 13

Thanks! I'll look into those!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 12:24am
post #5 of 13

Rokelm antique gold, dry dusted on to modelling chocolate gives a very similar and beautiful 'real gold' look.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 1:56am
post #6 of 13

If you're in the US, Rolkem gold is also not edible [like the other 2 mentioned above], so it's for use only on decorations that will be removed and not eaten.

Roxy and Rich makes some beautiful, edible gold hyrbrid luster dusts, so no worries about needing to rely on the client to remove anything and not serve it.

roxyandrich.com

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 13

I am in Australia and the cake shop sells it as edible.

maybenot Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 1:38am
post #8 of 13

Quote by @bubs1stbirthday on 1 day ago

I am in Australia and the cake shop sells it as edible.

Yes, it is sold in Australia, and some other countries, as edible. 

The food standards vary from country to country.  In the US, products made using real metals are not considered edible. This includes gold, silver, copper, etc. 

This is why every food producer needs to understand the food safety policies of their country and their county/city.  Products made in other countries are made using different standards, so it's often safest to find out where a product is made and to purchase according to where you live versus what looks good.

aaabeginner Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks everyone for your responses and sorry for the late reply. Just wanted u to know that since I didn't have time to wait for a mail order from your suggestions, I went on a whim and decided to try to spray the gum paste with Wilton's edible gold spray and it worked like a charm! I used 2 coats. Just thought I'd share in case anyone ever needs to try it out themselves. It was so easy and fast! Best Product To Achieve This Gold Color On Gum Paste?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 13

thank you for the update so much -- beautiful frilly pretty cake nice nice workmanship, not to mention sweet cake stand -- once again thanks for sharing and bravo for going edible clap

best to you blue_heart

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 13

You did a wonderful  job, @aaabeginner ‍!  Gorgeous ruffles and bow!  I use the Wilton spray quite often since I do not have the coveted airbrush and it works just fine.  I like it to color the whole cake gold.

aaabeginner Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks guys!

maybenot Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 13

Adorable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%