Wasc Cake

Baking By Cakesbybliss Updated 19 Jun 2017 , 10:31pm by Cakesbybliss

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 8

Hello :) 

i noticed everyone talking about the wasc cake recipe. It sounds amazing! I was just wondering, what is the texture like? Is it light and fluffy or a more dense cake? How does it differ to an average vanilla cake? 

7 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 8

There are two main versions of WASC, one with oil and one without (kakeladi's version).  I have tried both and they are similar in my opinion.  The texture is dense but moist, bordering on gummy if you don't bake it all the way.  It is definitely not a light and fluffy cake and it's heavier and closer to a pound cake in texture.  I prefer scratch cakes with a tighter and finer crumb but the WASC is a good substitute if you don't feel like baking from scratch.  You can use any flavor or brand of cake mix and change the extracts around if you wish.  I do not like it for cupcakes though, to me the texture is off and it becomes almost too spongy and airy when baked in a cupcake.  Baked as a cake in any flavor it seems to be a crowd-pleaser.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 8

The *original* WASC recipe was created to be a "semi-homemade pound cake" so as Annie said, it's very moist and dense, not light and fluffy.  Do look up the recipe and be sure to read completely through all the posts/replies as there is lots of interesting, helpful info contained in there.   Yes, it's long and will take lots of time to read it all but I think one can 'skim' thru the replies and still find a wealth of info/helpful hints.  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 12:11am
post #4 of 8

One of the reasons the WASC is so popular, in my opinion, (besides the fact that it is yummy) is it's structure.  It is much sturdier than my scratch cakes and even holds up to carving.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 8

@kakeladi ‍ , I took your advise and read the whole string on the original WASC post and it was well worth reading.

katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 8

Mind you, I've only been making WASC cake for a few months now, but recently I started using cake flour instead of all purpose (as the first recipe for it I saw called for) and I LOVED the texture the cake flour brought.  It was tender, moist without being "too moist" and solid enough for stacking (I was making a tiered cake).  

The first time I made it I was looking for a good recipe for chocolate chip cake and needed a cake dense enough to hold the chocolate chips so they wouldn't all sink to the bottom. This was perfect, though not too dry or heavy at all. I love the texture - try it with all purpose, then try with cake flour and see if you see a difference like I have. 

katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 8

Also, the version I first made called for no oil, the one I more recently use calls for 2 tablespoons which feels like a great addition - not too much, but just something to kick up the moisture a tad. 

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%